Bunny haves diarrhea

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistyjr

Reaction score
My Blue 6 week old Buck Dutch haves diarrhea, My aunt told me to feed them banana's because some rabbit's can die from having diarrhea. What eles can I do to help him?

Thanks, Misty

I wouldn't suggest feeding him banana.

Is he still with his mum? If not, how long has he been away from her?

I would suggest giving him a water bowl, instead of a bottle (if he has a bottle), and also give him something warm, like a rice sock or snuggles safe.

Is he eating? What is he eating?

Diarrhoea in baby bunnies can be seriousand fatal and ideally I think a rabbit savvy vet should see him.

He's been away from mom for about a week or less. I do not know, I got him on Friday, He's eatting Rabbit pellets, Hay,

He really does need a vet, to be honest. Can you call one and make an appointment? Sooner rather than later, this is probably an emergency, to be honest.

How is he acting? Is he still eating?

We cant take him to the vet. No money.. We just moved him into the new cage today from the girls. He havent eatting anything yet. Could it be from bring him indoor's?

I hate to say this, but with runny, yellow diarrhea in a bunny that young, it will be fatal unless you get him to a vet ASAP. This is called mucoid enteritis, and is an overgrowth of the bad bacteria in the GI tract. Sugar will only make this worse, so don't give banana. Keep her warm and confined, syringe feed her water or the infant drink pedialyte, and take her to the vet ASAP. Take pellets away from her and give her hay.

This disease can kill young bunnies in under 24 hours. Here's a link to the Merck Vet Manual to back up what I'm saying.
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/171319.htm
Look at enterotoxemia and mucoid enteritis.

Your rabbits have a bacterial imbalance in their gut. They should not be separated from their mother until about 8 weeks as the gut has not converted yet and the mother is an important part of that conversion.

If getting this rabbit back to it's mother isn't possible, keep things basic...bananas are not appropriate in healthy rabbits (except in very small amounts)....hay and water. If you know of anyone that does horses, we use a horse product called BioSponge that will bind the toxins that is causing the GI upset. And above all, keep them hydrated.

Randy

mistyjr wrote:
But the diahrea isn't all the time, He is eatting Hay a lot.
That doesn't make it any less of an emergency or real problem. Any rabbit experiencing diarrhea, especially a baby, needs some kind of medical treatment. Definitely take everyone's advice to heart and use it. A Rabbit's health can go down hill at an unbelievable rate. I also do feel that the issue of not having funds for vet care should be addressed, especially with the number of rabbit's you currently have. You could try a payment plan with a vet, skip out on a few meals, etc. I also recommend setting up an emergency vet fund for any future incidences.

He's been eatting and drinking, And poo normal turds, It could be from changing he's diet. just like you would with a puppy. But he did that this morning and havent seen the diahrea the rest of the day

I'd get some Bene-Bac or Probios at the pet store or farm supply store to give, just to make sure that the GI bacteria are fine.

We have a farm store in town but no pet store, Were would that Bene-Bac or Probios be at? In the rabbit, horse section?

mistyjr wrote:
We have a farm store in town but no pet store, Were would that Bene-Bac or Probios be at? In the rabbit, horse section?

Do what Randy suggested, and yes, I would imagine a BioSponge recommended for horses would be in the horse section.;) Ask them where to find it, if they don't carry it, is there someone you know that raises horses that may have it?

Keep us posted!:D

How is your bunny doing now?

Just a note to say never, EVER make quick changes to a bunny diet. Everything needs to be done gradually (over a 2 weeks period or so) to prevent stomach upsets. Just wanted to give you a heads up :)

I didn't know what she feed them, He's doing great this morning, Eatting & Drinking. And running around

Latest posts

Back