Bunny hates being picked up...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I adopted my bunny Annabell about 2 weeks ago. She is a 2.5 year old mini lop. During the process of adoption, I was told (and saw) she does not like being picked up. I'm not an expert with rabbits, and I've been struggling in that area since I've gotten her.

She is a very sweet and sociable bunny- loves to come up to me and be petted and lick. But when you try to pick her up, she will do anything she can to get away from you. I have been successful in picking her up about 5 times. Just recently she started nipping me if I try to pick her up (so it's obviously getting worse). I've read many websites and forums and I've found most say different things. I could be wrong, but I think I have a rabbit that especially hates being picked up.

Please give me advice! I will work with her... I'm just not sure how to approach the problem.

That's normal, a bunny that doesn't mind being picked up is very rare indeed. She should not be able to nip you though - how are you holding her? When you hold a bunny you must be very firm about it. A bunny that senses you're nervous and might drop her is going to be extra terrified and antsy.

Of course picking one up to begin with is the hardest part, they do try their best to escape your clutches. My method is to put a little pile of pellets on the floor, get her eating and pat her, pat her, pat her, then quickly ninja scoop her up! I used to be real nervous about upsetting them/hurting their little bones, but I found it helps to think of the bunny as a human baby about to be attacked by a snake - don't think, just grab her up gently but firmly, leaving no time/space for her to decide to try struggling.

I assume you know how to hold a bunny properly, one hand grasping under the chest and the other hand holding her hind legs together like a sausage roll supporting her bum. Firmly held, this hold should prevent her from struggling or nipping you. Once you've got a solid grip on a bunny they tend to give up trying to escape. If your bun is especially determined, though, you can try tucking her head in the crook of your arm like a football. I've never tried this but some bun owners swear by it.

Just practice lots, get her used to it. Feed her small treats while she's up in the air, or right after. She'll probably never be a good sport about being picked up, but you can help her be less terrified of it. :)

All of ours will accept being picked up as they know it's inevitable even though most don't like it. You have to keep at it--remember, you're supposed to train her and not let her train you. We have been sitting a bunny for a friend and if he doesn't hold her facing out she nips at him too, but she won't nip at us. You need to treat her like an alpha would treat a subordinate or your life will be troublesome. Plenty of articles here as well as in various books about this subject.

My buns hate being picked up too, and I tend to feel rather guilty whenever I try to do so. They end up darting away and get quite upset with me for a while. :(

I'm definitely going to keep at it, though. I'd like to know that, in an emergency, I could scoop them up without any problems.

Latest posts

Back