Bunny has to go

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mybunnies

Reaction score
I'm so sad :( :(. My belovedbunny Roxy has now started to chew eveything in sight. Ourvetical blinds are the last straw..... we have wooden blindswhich got it a long time ago. I suggested anoutdoor hutch to my husband... he's so angry he won't evenhear it. He never liked her anyway -- she's alwaysbeen my bun. The first time he saw her he said -- "Man is sheugly" --- tons of tears --- Kim

You don't have to get rid of her just becauseshe's starting to chew. There's lots of ways to make a "bunny safe"house. I suggest you put her in a different room, or spray your blindswith Bitter Apple Spray, or do what I had to do with Peppy, let him runaround in the house with the leash on, so that when he did start to getinto something, I simply gave a pull on the leash and he backed away.But it sounds to me like your husband hates rabbits in general. Trythose things first :)

It would be so sad for you to have to give up yourrabbit. Does she have too much freedom? I made the mistake early onwith my rabbits of allowing them to roam around in too many rooms. Youcould purchase an exercise pen, or limit her play area with baby gates.I agree that bitter apple works like a charm. I buy the generic type atwalmart. They won't touch areas that have been covered with it. There'salso the "don't-chew-that-chew-this" method. Catch themdoing it and give them their chew toys. Not nearly as easy as bitterapple. Good chew toys like untreated seagrass mats are my rabbitsfavorite. Any junk mail, cardboard box, or wood can keep them occupied.

I know it must upset you greatly to imagine your bunny somewhere else.Have you thought about getting rid of the husband instead? ;)

Sarah wrote:
I knowit must upset you greatly to imagine your bunny somewhere else. Haveyou thought about getting rid of the husband instead? ;)
BOL! I'm not going to touch this with a 10-footpole!!!

ohhhh that's not fair! does she have stuff in herhutch to chew? is she fixed? there are a ton of things you can do, poorgirl! Try discussing it with hubby after he's calmed down a bit

Yes Roxy does have lots tochew. And yes -- Roxy is spayedI think I waited tolong to start limiting her area. My husband simply doesn'twant her anymore. Not that he ever did -- she was"my" bun. I did try the baby gates previously -- Myhusband didn't like that fact that he had to step overthem. I am looking for another home forher, but I can't find anyone who will takeher. ---- tons oftears --- Kim :(

You can always buy a play pen to put her in. Thenat least she can still get out and hop around, but she'd still beconfined to one area. I know how you feel about losing buns, in about amonth I won't have Peppy, or Megan. So yeah it's sad :( But try to playpen thing, there's no reason why it wouldn't work :)

Dear Kim, I am so sorry to hear that you have topart with Roxy. I see that you have children. Is there any possibilityof their allowing her to be in one of their rooms? I have found thathaving a cardboard box to demolish sometimes takes away a buns desireto do the same to your home. I wish I could, in some way, help you.Living with gates can difficult, at times. I have one at my bedroomdoor and one at my bathroom door. My Hubby didn't like them at first,either. Fortunately, after being read the "riot act", Jim stoppedcomplaining and learned how to open (and close) the gates. If we werecloser, I'd take her. My heart is with you. Take care and good luck.Charlotte

Dear My Bunny Loves Me, The problem is now biggerthan Roxy. Kim's Hubby never liked Roxy. He never wanted Roxy. Thereare times when a Bun has to be sacrificed so that "Peace" can be keptwithin the family/home. The only way to relieve the tension is to findRoxy a new home. Fighting or argueing over a Bun is not an option whenchildren are involved.

This is what I am feeling from reading Kim's posts. I might be wrong (that does happen) but, I don't think so. Charlotte

Dear mybunnys, I know how your feeling, my bunnychewes all the time, and now my mum wont let him out to play anymore,so he will soon get depressed but I let him run around my room withouther knowing sometimes !:p

MyBunnyLovesMe wrote:
You can always buy a play pen to put her in. Then at leastshe can still get out and hop around, but she'd still be confined toone area. I know how you feel about losing buns, in about a month Iwon't have Peppy, or Megan. So yeah it's sad :( But try to play penthing, there's no reason why it wouldn't work :)
If you don'tmind me asking MBLM, why won't you have Peppy or Megan? Will you begoing off to college or moving? If it's none of my business, that'scool too ;)

Oh Kim,

That's horrible. :( My heart goes out to you and the bunny.

I wish your husband would reconsider, but in the case he doesn't, Ihope you find a loving home closeby so that you can visit her. Maybe inthe interim of trying to find another home for her, you can limit herspace to one room and monitor her while she's out. It might help you'build a case' for her to stay.

I hope you're able to come to a compromise so that both of you are happy rather than resentful.

Prayers and thoughts are with you at this difficult time.

-Carolyn

I'd take her if I could. :(But myparents wont let me haveanother! It would have been perfect, I'm pretty close to you. Got to hateparents on occasion! :X

I have one idea. Any chance of making her anoutside rabbit? It's getting quite warm around here and it shouldn't bea problem. We have an extra hutch that just needs latches, perhaps wecan work something out?

You're truly an angel, Laura.

It would be a wonderful way of prolonging her stay if Kim could at least have her outside for now. :dude:

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Again, Laura, that was incredibly kind-hearted and generous of you to offer.

-Carolyn

Okay found a picture. The cage is a year old,custom built by my dad last year for my boys. It is 5 feet long and 2feet deep. The roof slopes to the back for water and snow to run off.The highest part of the roof is just over 2' 3" and the lowest part isjust over 1'9". The roof is removeable for easy cleaning. Wire bottomand a screen mesh on the enclosed box part to allow pee to drain in thewinter. We normally cover the mesh with a piece of wood to prevent adraft but it still lets some drainage happen. There is an insulatedwooden box for the winter that fits into the enclosed part of the cage,we fill it with straw to keep them toasty warm. It doesn't have legs,the ones shown below are fastened to the deck. The front 2 latches fromthose doors shown below are missing because we had to use them on myboys' new cage. There is also a nice big door at the end so you can geteven those tough to reach rabbits. ;)

Cage with doors open:

scan0002.jpg

Top/Side view (there is a big door at the near end of the cage that was added after this picture!):

scan0003.jpg

mybunnies,

Oops, I forgot to add in my previous posts that I read that yourhusband won't even consider an outside hutch. But maybe you canconvince him now. I'm not sure how much my dad wants for this hutch butconsidering the small little ones that are not nealy as nice are goingfor around $170, this probably wouldn't be that much and is way moreworth it. I don't want you to have to get rid of your bunny!

[align=center]********************************************[/align]
Carolyn,

Will you quit it before I turn anymore red!

My bunnyboys, Im being a bit slow today (in factI'm always slow) (in fact it normally takes me hours to get a joke) (infact i have been described as ditsy air headed stupid...)
But didn't u used to be m&smom? and how old r u (im so weird like that i like noinghow old people r).

wuv 4rm
loz n ebs nfidget
xoxoxox

Latest posts

Back