Bunny has the poopsies....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffys_mommy

Reaction score
What can I do? I called my husband and heinformed that my oldest son (16 yrs. old) fed him 1/2 a banana! Yikesit's a mess...... I hope this won't hurt him?

HiFluffy's_Mommy,

Give him a lot of hay (it will help dry him up), you can also give oatsif you have them (the old fashioned Quaker Oats); clean him up, and thefill the water bottle. Make sure he's drinking plenty ofwater because the diarrhea can cause them to dehydrate and then you'vegot a problem as dehydration is fatal to rabbits.

He'll be fine. It sounds like he's just reacting to thebanana. Guess your son won't do that again, ey? ;)

-Carolyn

Yes, go get some Timothy Hay at a feed store ora pet store. The sooner the better. Do you have anyQuaker Oats in the house?

-Carolyn

First I just wanted to say I am not a vet oranything but I can speak from my experience as another bunny owner ifthats any good to you.

My opinion is ifa bunny had liquid faeces or a wet bottom he should be at the vet as soon as possible.

But if the faeces are soft like play doh and shiny if may be excesscaecotrophs which is the soft poops rabbits normally eat from theirbottom, but when they have too many of them they just poop them out andleave them.

Sometimes excess caecotrophs can be caused by too much fruit and vegwhich would fit with the banana. Encourage your bun to eat hay and makesure he keeps drinking.

On a final note my friend sometimes gives her bunny a piece of bananaand I think its ok now and again so hopefully your bun will be allright.

Take care

ND

If I understand you correctly, the runs didn'tstart until after the banana was fed to the rabbit, is thattrue? If it's not, let me know. If it is, you canuse the Quaker Oats, Fluffys_Mommy. That should dry him uppretty quickly. Be sure to give plenty of water - the mostimportant thing at this stage.

-Carolyn

If he doesn't drink, you may have to syringefeed him a bit of water. You have to go very slowly when youdo that if it comes to that point because you don't want any liquid toget in his lungs, which can happen if you go too fast.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back