bunny has diarrhea

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeysMomMom

Reaction score
What do you do if your bunny has diarrhea? Is this normal to happen once in awhile? There is diarrhea in the cage. My daughter called me at work to tell me she had to give the bunny a bath since she had poop stuck to her.I worry so much about this rabbit.

Can you determine if it's diarrhea or runny cecals? If it's pure liquid, best to get Smokey to a vet.

If it's runny cecals (smelly, clumpy), it's probably a diet issue. Mine get that when they overdose on carbs and sugars (among other things).

Either way, makesurehe's getting plenty of hay and water, and not much else(althougha small amount ofrolledoats might help). Definitely get him drinking(I've been spiking Pipp's water withapple orcarrot juice), and make sure you have some Pedialyte on hand. It its true diarrhea, dehydration is a serious consequence.

I'm sure the links M.E. sent will give you a better idea of what to look for.

Sending get well vibes Smokey's way.

sas

Thanks for the advice. Her poop was hard and lumpy and one little pile was a light brown and it was a watery creamytexture.

I stopped giving her the new food I bought her at Pet Smart a week ago and gave her the food she has always eaten. Plus we gave her hay and she was drinking. We cleaned out her cage at midnight and the next day she is back to regular poops. I think she will be alright. My daughter is like, mom she does get like this once in awhile she is okay. I worry about the rabbit like she is one of my children.

Her poop was stuck to her butt and we had to put her in the tub. But the next day her poops are fine. Should we still call the vet?

Did you gradually switch over or just gave her the new food? I don't think at this time you need to call a vet as long as she's still producing firm round poops.

No, I didn't gradually switch over. But she is alright now and is on the food she is used to again. I am not giving her the new food anymore. I feel bad but she is doing well. Thanks so much.

Latest posts

Back