bunny has claimed my bed as his own!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

girlzilla

Reaction score
my bun bun likes to snuggle on my chest when i am lying down in bed, watching tv, knitting, reading, etc. i used to lie on the floor to let him do this but my back started getting sore so i decided it would be ok for him to snuggle up on my chest on the bed.

big mistake.

now he's in the habit of taking naps on my bed when i'm not on there with him! this wouldn't be a problem except he gets lazy and rather than jumping down to use his litter tray, he likes to mark the bed as "his" property and wee on my mattress! i've got a waterproof mattress protector already on it in case of stuff like this, but it's still not pleasant to come home from work and see yellow wet patches on my sheet lol. i know it's my own fault for allowing him to snuggle me ON the bed but now i have to break this habit.

what i am currently doing is surrounding my bed with a dog pen so he can't jump up even if he wants to. this has worked in the past and usually in a week or so he's gotten the message and doesn't jump back up when i take the pen away, but does anyone else have any suggestions for keeping him off the bed (without having to cage him up which i refuse to do!!). it's just a pain for me having to shift the gate on the pen everytime i want to get in or out of bed lol.

it's possible that the dog pen is my only option but i thought maybe someone else out there might have a better suggestion!

also, does anyone else have the same issue? my bunny is very well litter trained but when it comes to my bed, as soon as he is allowed on it, he turns it into a toilet! i wish there was a way for him to sleep on the bed without wizzling and plopping all over it, because it's SO lovely snuggling up in bed with him nuzzled into me :)

Hi can you put a litter box on the bed? When we had to rebond Wilbur & Jackie (long story) the only place they would not fight was on our bed. After a couple of Pee Pee's from the two of them we put a litter box on the bed and Voila they used it.

Susan:bambiandthumper

yup, tried that - as soon as i removed the litter box and put it back on the ground, he still left little presents on my bed lol.

i think i will just have to keep saying "no" and putting him on the floor when he jumps up. he knows he isn't supposed to be on the bed because as soon as i say no, he quickly makes a dash so i can't reach him lol.

smart :?

Bo cannot be on my bed without supervision and then we sometimes miss the mark! he wets on my hubby's side of the bed (up against his pillow if he can!) if given the chance! I don't know why and I hate having to launder pillows!

I loved letting him lay around with me on the bed, but if I do it I have to take extra precautions like taking the pillow off, putting a couple of extra blankets on that side and just watch closely - so he doesn't get to snuggle in the bed often.

My bunny does the same thing - I close the bedroom door so he can't get in there.

And he also pees on my husband's side, by the pillow! I had him neutered, and so far his peeing (I think) has gotten a little better.

You might think of it this way - your bed smells very strongly of you, so it's an incredibly tempting place for a bunny to mark by peeing and pooping.

Also, some buns just have to pee on soft things. Nibbles is one of them (even though she's spayed).

My solution: I don't allow Nibbles on my bed.

* If you want to have your bun on the bed, why not get something waterproof (like a cheap plastic tablecloth or a shower curtain liner) and put it down on the bed first? That way, you can just wipe it off, or throw it in the washer, if need be.

i know of some people who have literally used ex-pens or NIC grates to keep their buns from getting on their beds.

I let Wash to run around on my bed and he likes to dig at my sheets and bedding. He has chewed a hole in my $300 down comfortor, chewed the edge off of a feather pilllow and then shook all the feathers out, ect. The real answer to problems with bunnies is that you work around the bun so it's not a problem for you. I now have a special old blanket that I let him dig at all he wants (I put it over my entire bed whenever he is out. ) and that way he can dig and he doesn't mess up anything I care about. I think the plastic table cloth idea is really good, or you can buy cheap vinyl at Joann's or another fabric store and make something that fits on your bed like a fitted sheet so that he can't pull it off.

ec wrote:
Also, some buns just have to pee on soft things.

lol it's like a compulsive thing for them. my bath robe is made out of polar fleece and it's super soft and my bun has chewed so many holes it in, it looks like a cheese grater. he's never peed on it - he saves that for my bed. actually in fairness, he hasn't peed on my bed in ages, just pooped. i don't mind fecals, but it's when he leaves behind his cecals and they stick to my sheets!

he left me some surprises last night lol i have to change the sheet today.

argh no i just went into my bedroom and ludo had gone wees on the bed AND he had chewed through my CD walkman earphone wire lol. little rat he is. luckily i have several spare earphones because i know him too well ;)

right, i've just spent the past half an hour changing my entire room around so i can place a pen around my bed to stop chubby bum from jumping up. i've bid on some new bedsheets online (becausethe ones i have now are stained with rabbit wizzles), andi also boughtmy bun buntwo massive grass mats from the craftstore, just because he's cute and he deserves everything in the entire world :biggrin2:

and now he probably thinks that if he pees on the bed, he will get presents lol

I can't help but laugh thinking of Wash and the feather pillow! What a little imp!

ec, that really does make sense about them marking their territory. I also think that the pillow is a raised area which can represent a corner type thing for them to pee against........ it's also soft "MINE MINE MINE!" and oils from our hair probably tranfer to pillows in a fashion that scents them.... so again Mommy is "MINE MINE MINE" or Daddy (just incase Pebbles is peeing on Mrs. PB's pillow! lol)

I just love to watch Bo when he does the fluff on the blankets! yank, yank, pushpushpush, patpatpatpatpatpatpat.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I just love to watch Bo when he does the fluff on the blankets! yank, yank, pushpushpush, patpatpatpatpatpatpat.
lol is this when he diggies on the blanket and kind of chews it at the same time? my bun does that to my robe, WHILE i'm wearing it! he's accidentally nipped my skin with his teeth when trying to nibble my bathrobe, and man, bunny nips leave huge bruises!

bo does that to me and blankies too - but when he does the push, yank, patpatpat thing it's like he fluffs up the blankets (we sort of wad them up in a bunch) then pushes them out and almost hops on his front feet to pat them down. It's the funniest thing to watch!

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

I don't allow my buns on the bed or couch anymore unless they have their blanket. I used left over NIC grids and made a fence with it so they can't get into the bedroom (my door hinge broke:p). I've gotten used to not leaving things lying around after losing quite a few things to their need for chewing :pI still have a few wires lying around but they know better than to touch them. I still have to cover them because i don't want to take chances, but I always train them that that is a no-no before hand anyway.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
.....he does the push, yank, patpatpat thing it's like he fluffs up the blankets (we sort of wad them up in a bunch) then pushes them out and almost hops on his front feet to pat them down. It's the funniest thing to watch!

Chippy does that too!!

And she goes around and around....Sometimes she gets her blankie so fluffed up, that all you can see is the top of her head and her ears. She usually stops at that point and peeks around with a very satisfied look on her face.

~Jim

JimD wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:
.....he does the push, yank, patpatpat thing it's like he fluffs up the blankets (we sort of wad them up in a bunch) then pushes them out and almost hops on his front feet to pat them down. It's the funniest thing to watch!

Chippy does that too!!

And she goes around and around....Sometimes she gets her blankie so fluffed up, that all you can see is the top of her head and her ears. She usually stops at that point and peeks around with a very satisfied look on her face.

~Jim

YES! We say that Bo is doing his work and no one should bother him until break time! LOL!

He's so serious while he's doing it. Then it's like "AHHhh see my hard "day's" work?!"

The worst I've gotten so far is a pebble here or there. I had the frame removed because when I first got my cat (over a year and a half ago lol) he was too small to climb into bed with me so I took it out. Now that all kitties are grown big enough, I'll have to put the frame back on. Bunnies will get their own beds so they don't have to mess with mine lol.

Latest posts

Back