Bunny has abscess and babies Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greyer_wolf

Reaction score
Sorry I'm still new to this website so if i don't know what i'm doing bear with me.

Ok i need to know what i should do. My rabbit Chalupa has what i am pretty sure is an abscess.(I have pictures i just don't know how to insert pictures in a post yet but i do have them in my gallery). She also has four about a month old babies. My 4-H leader says she doesn't want them to be taken away from their mother for at least a little while longer.

I need to know if i am suppose to isolate my rabbit from my other rabbits because of her abscess. Would that be best? And if i am what about her babies? I think they are fine by themselves now but i don't know for sure.

Also any suggestions on what i can do for my rabbit with the abscess. I know everyone will tell me to take her to the vet but I honestly do not have the money to take her to the vet so it's just not something i can do. I don't want her to be miserable but i don't know what i can do.

I will be gone for 4 days to a camp so my sister will be watching my rabbits and i won't be able to reply to any comments but please help me!!

Here's a picture
DSCN0227.jpg

Sorry if the picture is kind of big. I'm still figuring this out.

You say you can't afford to take her to the vet, but that is definately what she needs. Abcesses are hard, sometimes impossible, to treat. Anywhere located on the face is especially dangerous because it can seep into the jaw bone, eye area, etc. Vets have a difficult time treating abcesses, and it will be impossible for you to treat it on your own.

The location suggests that it may be an overgrown tooth, where the root has grown into the jaw and become abcessed. If this is the case, your rabbit will need surgery to remove the tooth and possibley some bone.The cost of thiscan run into the thousands. It will also take months of daily wound irrigation, regular vet visits, etc.

With this abcess, your rabbit requires immediate veterinary care, or she will likely not be with you much longer.

My first suggestion is to find a way to see a vet to assess the extent of the damage, and decide where you can go from there.

If this is no way possible, I highly recommend you locate a shelter or rescue that can take your rabbit and give her the medical attention she needs.

If this option is also impossible, it is probably best that you humanely put your rabbit to sleep. It sounds terrible, but it is much better than letting your animal suffer in pain until the inevitable end.

Latest posts

Back