Bunny harness/leash?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hvanwyk28

Reaction score
Does anyone use one of the for their bunny? Do they work well? As much info as possible would be awesome

What are you wanting to use it for?
A rabbit isn't going to go for a walk like a dog. Rabbits tend to run forward, stop and dart off again. This can make using a harness dangerous. If you are not paying attention, the rabbit can snap back. They can also get tangled in the leash, so it needs to be help up off the ground. It's not that a rabbit can't be on a harness and leash, but you need to pay close attention to the rabbit and the surroundings (dogs, cats, people, cars etc, can all scare a rabbit). An x-pen would be a better way to have your rabbit outside if possible.

I do agility with my rabbits and use a harness for that. It is really to have something to hold onto and grab if needed. We don't use leashes other than for training and if the area is not 100% secure (usually use a bunch of x-pens connected to go around the course), of if we are on grass as the rabbits don't focus well, otherwise the run off leash. One of the biggest reasons for not allowing leashes is that people don't know how to use them, drop the leash and it gets tangled around equipment.

If you are going to use a harness, you need to make sure to get a safe one. I recommend and H style harness. Some types like Figure 8 ones, can tighten when on the rabbit and strangle them. Vest harnesses are ok, but can be hard to get tight enough, the velcro gets clogged with fur, they are bulky which can lead to overheating, and the velcro can also stick to other things (I have heard of some rabbits getting stuck to the carpet).
This is an H harness.
chtropical_338x338.jpg

Some great advice there. Those H style harnesses are the best to use, I have one for Bandit and use it to take him into the backyard on a leash. We don't walk, he chooses where he wants to go, and I have to follow along behind. I recommend getting a leash of about 2m long, most are too short to use with a rabbit because although you need to keep it off the ground, you also need a bit of slack so that if they do decide to suddenly race off in one direction, you have time react and keep up with them so that they don't get jerked back on the leash, which is not only bad for them, it can be very scary too since it's like being caught by a predator. Before you go out on the leash though, you need to get him used to wearing a harness. I started off with 5 minute sessions with bandit, giving him lots of pets and treats and letting him run around and get used to it. It can take time, and some rabbits will never like it, but Bandit loves his outdoor time on the leash, getting to explore everything :)

Twiggs is an outdoor bun and he dosent wear a harness , unless I bring him to the front yard cos he likes to run into the neighbors yards! But yes it is a h style. So If he is blocked off from escaping and danger/harm he do sent really need a harness.

That's what I wanted to know. I saw one at the store and was wondering about its safety

all three of the buns in my house have the little super pet harnesses and the springy leash. Didn't know the jacket was on the bad side. I like vests/jackets since it is normally the safer of the three styles of harness when dealing with cats (yes I "walk" my cat on leash) <.< only issue I really have with the cheep jacket I have is that I need to add a different D-ring on to the stock one cause it can easily slip off.

next place we are moving to has a yard so my friend and I were going to build a run to use with the cat and bunnies.

Latest posts

Back