Bunny got shocked

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FelipesMommy

Reaction score
First he had to go to the vet for a well-bunny check up. Vet said he looked great. Then, a few minutes ago I caught him chewing on an electrical wire (to the DVD player) and fussed at him. Couple minutes later there's a huge POP behind the TV and I see SPARKS! Felipe shot out from behind the TV. He has a little blackened patch near his leg that he won't let me see My poor baby blew himself up! He seems otherwise okay though. He keeps fussing with the spot, trying to clean it. Poor thing.

Wires were covered with electrical tape and put away best I could, tomorrow is a trip to get cord covers although I doubt he'll chew them again after this.

Happened about five hours ago. He is hopping around normally and appears happy. He's eaten and pooped. Is there anything specific I should be worrying about?

Pipp hunts down and severs all wires, it's really a challenge keeping her safe. She's climbed up three shelves high to get to a wire!

A year and a half ago, she severed a mouse cable coming out of the computer and this time she did get a shock (luckily, a low voltage type). I could smell the burnt hair (and the fried computer components :grumpy:), she was sitting there smacking her lips, sneezing and rubbing her face with her paws.

She didn't go after another wire for a full year. But sad to say, she's back on track. :X

Watch the burned area closely. I'd put some Betadine on it daily to prevent infection.

And definitely get more wire protectors, wire panels and hooks to get them behind or up out of the way, and pillows to block access to the plug-ins behind furniture.

sas :nonono:

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't appear to have burned the skin, just the fur. There was a dark patch which he's now licked off, so he has a little patch of short fur in that spot.

We boxed everything in, blocked off the entertainment center with two board and either blocked wires from lamps with tiles or split PVC and bolted it to the wall. Commander Bun-Bun used to go upstairs and jump against the bedroom doors and knocked them open, so, the locks got re-aligned. Someone did leave the computer chair out more than once and the second time the printer cable was gone and I had to replace the sound system. I threatened someone with having to stand at the computer for life if there was ever a third time. Funny thing about Bun--she never chewed up a single cord, she just wanted to lay on the floor air vents.

Latest posts

Back