Bunny gets startled easily

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bilko

Reaction score
I have recently allowed Lucky access to the whole top level (which includes my bedroom) as he has been good with his litter training. His little area where his hutch and toys are is next to the top of the stairs, so that's vicinity he tends to hang out most. So when I come up the stairs (walking or running) he seems to get startled very easily and begins to sprint. Sometimes into his cardboard box or under the table.
He does this fairly constantly and I feel quite bad about it. I'm not sure if this is harming our ability to bond. As it stands it is hard to bond with him as he seems to like to do his own thing most of the day unless I have food haha.

So any tips will do!

PS I have heavy feet so I make a fair bit of noise as I walk. Would have naturally thought that the noise would be easy enough for lucky to hear it and make the correlation that I am coming up.

Edit: He generally gets startled easily. I just got of my chair in my room and he run under my bed straight away.

Last edited:
Occasionally this happens to Barry as well, and he is a very laid back rabbit. I'm not very heavy footed though. When he's in his room and I'm in another and I'm going to enter into his area, I've started to call out to him so that he doesn't get startled. Sometimes I may even call out to him just walking across the house because I'm not sure where he is. Barry has full house range except at night when he goes to his room exclusively to sleep.

I'm with Channas, talk to him as you come up the stairs, it will help him understand that it's you instead of a scary monster :p

I walked up the stairs and started saying his name. He wasn't in his little area but I continued saying his name, he ended up being in my room and as I walked in, he got startled lol.

My bun will do the same. I think it has something to do with my hardwood floors and him being all out in the open. Just be careful while around him as to not startle him I much.

I have never intended to startle lucky, but today I have made a conscious effort every time I approach an area he may be in.

One instance: I had lucky in the living room, I do this most evenings and cordon it off so he can't roam too far. I was re-approaching the living area saying his name and random things quite loudly so he could hear me. As he saw me he got startled and sprinted away behind the couch. He did a similar thing around 2-3 times more this evening.

Not too sure what more I can do to indicate that I am arriving :p

PS He doesn't know his name as he doesn't react to it. Well he doesn't seem to react to any words haha.

My guess is that since it's only been recently that you've allowed him free range, he's only begun to start exploring. Exploring can be scary. You never know what's lurking and just waiting to eat you, and since buns are prey animals, they're naturally wary. His little hairs are on end, and when you arrive in the room, oh mah bun you ARE soooo scawy and you looks hongry runs hides!!

Probably limiting his range to explore one room at a time so that he can be completely familiar with it will help to settle him down a bit.

Seems a bit extreme, the constant running and hiding. You'd think he' have made the association by now. Do you think he could be deaf? I remember working in a shelter that the deaf cats always got startled a lot more dramatically. My bunnies do get startled if I suddenly barrel in with no warning, but if I make noises approaching they rarely get more than a muscle twitch.

Rabbits are always on the look out. It is very difficult to sneak up on one. Saying that, rabbits that are in an enclosure are VERY weary. Even though my rabbits know me and are on a consistent schedule on a daily basis I can open the buck room door and the look of panic and fear in their eyes is the same every time. As soon as they know what is going on they immediately settle down and want the attention. When a rabbit has no where to flee for safety is increases the likelihood of them being startled dramatically.

Just my .02 cents...
:thumbup
www.prideandjoyfarms.com

Don't think my bunny is deaf. He can hear his pellets rattling when I put it in things like toilet paper tube or an egg carton he will run towards me.

I've limited his free area to his bunny area and my room which is at the end of the hallway. I try to keep the other 2 room doors shut, but occasionally I accidentally leave one of them open and he would hop around there for a little while before coming out.

Guess I shall continue doing what I am doing and hope for some change. If not I will just have to get used to it :p

I think giving him smaller places to roam is a good idea. That's what we did with ours, and now she has the full run of the apartment and she loves it. She follows us around and always knows where we are. She only gets startled if we come in really loudly or suddenly. So we call out to her when we get home, most of the time she doesn't notice. I've had her for three and a half years now and she still doesn't react to her name, or any other words. But she always reacts to the sound of pellets and crinkling packets.

Just stick with it, gradually give him more room little by little and when he feels comfortable in that area, give him some more. He'll soon get used to you. You could try sitting on the floor in one of his areas and see if he comes to you and sits on you - you could have some pellets in hand for encouragement - and give him time to get used to you and your smell and he should be fine.

Latest posts

Back