Bunny fur!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KendraJ

Reaction score
Hey guys! So I'm pretty sure this 100% normal but my youngest bun ghost, who was all white, is slowly turning this greyish brown colour on his rump. He is about 4 months old and this started to happen! Is it normal for all white buns to change colours and get spots like Dalmatians?

I wish I had a picture of Q as a baby up. She was solid white. Now she's mostly gray/brown with some white patches. A weird marbly pretty pattern. And she's getting darker.

So...whether it's normal or not...*looks down at my bunny*...it happened to this one! Now she looks like a mascara covered qtip....

From your photos (first two posters), it looks like your rabbits are Californians? Or at least have pointed white coloring of some type.

The gray you're seeing is commonly referred to as "smut" (color spoiling a solid coat) and is not desirable as far as breed standards go, but it's not harmful or indicative of any health problems.

It could be seasonal, since pointed rabbits often get darker in cooler weather and lighter in the summer, or it could be an age-related genetic factor. Either way, it's completely normal! You'll notice the same thing on colors like sable point where the color pattern may appear kind of dirty (rather than clean solid cream/white), or on colors like orange where you'll notice varying shades of color, from vibrant to smutty.

If your rabbit is a californian (or has the same markings as one) then it most likely is smut. It is harmless. Some think that it is brought on by the cold. Some think that it is genetic and will not buy rabbits that have it (even if it is a rabbit that would add a TON to a breeding program and be an amazing show bunny [sorry bad memory from an evil big time breeder])

Latest posts

Back