bunny friends/ or not

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c&c babies

Reaction score
I have two girl bunnies they are sisters but the first ime we put them together they got in a fight i seperated them very quickly so their both fine but somtimes they groom eachother now.I would love to put them back together but i dont no if i should or how i should. Does anyone have any suggestions on anything thanks!!:):D:dutch

Moved your thread over to the main Rabbits Online section. You'll probably get more responses on this topic here.

How old are the sisters? If they are old enough, spaying them is probably the best step in getting them together. Chances are they are fighting due to hormones and being territorial.

I have to run and make dinner now, but I'm sure others will be along shortly with more advice for you.

-Dawn

Bonding can sometimes be a very easy process, or a very long, complex and patience-demanding one.
Rabbits are individuals, and so some just won't bond together.

As I've heard, female-female bonds are the hardest to do, followed by male-male, and then male-female, which are the easiest.

The grooming is a good sign- what else are they doing? Curious nose-touching? Snuggling?

When they fought, did they circle one another? Make noises? How vicious was the fight? Any humping? Nipping as one runs past the other?

I would keep trying to bond them. Introduce them in a neutral area, (smallish), and be at the ready with thick gloves and something like a dustpan and brush to separate them (you don't want to be bitten during a rabbit scuffle- I can tell you from experience, and the lovely thick scar down my arm). If they are fighting (properly trying to bite eachother), then if you get in the way, they wont be able to distinguish you from the other bunny, and you may end up getting accidentally bitten!
Use your logic after a few weeks of bonding- how often are they fighting? Does it outweight the good times together? Are the fights getting less vicious and less frequent, or more?

I would visit some of the bonding pages in the Library, and read through some bonding threads- the are so many here, with many great tips.

Jen :)

first they were sniffing eachother and they started running around in circles trying to nip eachother then my bunny clemintine came and hid behind me and clover started thumping. Now they are sepperated by a wire fence so they will lay against the wire and groom eachother.

It sounds to me like they do really like spending time with eachother- the laying against the wire etc. to groom eachother.

I think they just need to establish who is dominant etc., or begin to accept eachother as equal dominance etc.

I'm not making loads of sense- I'm very tired, but what I mean is, I think you should def keep going. It sounds promising.

ok thanks i will i have off from work today so i think ill try putting them together:biggrin2::rabbithop:dutch

Good luck! X

Lol hehe :D

Are they fixed? And how old are they?

Unfixed female buns around 5-7 months old have a lot of hormones that make them aggressive and territorial. If they are unfixed, I think you are better off separating them so that they don't fight and cause serious injury. Then get them to the vet for spaying. Two unspayed females will not bond. They may be able to have common playtime, but I would never leave them in the same cage unsupervised.

Also, if they are fighting now, it will hinder any chance to bond them after spaying. Bunnies have long memories and if they've fought with a particular bunny before, they'll remember and have a much harder time bonding with that bunny.

they are not fixed but i am planning on getting them fixed when i can find a bunny savvy vet. I also need to know how much it is to fix them so i can save all of my money up for it:biggrin2:

Ah- I didn't realise they weren't fixed. In that case I agree with Elrowen.

After a rabbit has been fixed, their hormones change etc, and other rabbits can sense this. If you've done really well with the bonding, and one gets neutered, it could totally throw off all the hard work you and the buns put in.

c&c babies wrote:
they are not fixed but i am planning on getting them fixed when i can find a bunny savvy vet. I also need to know how much it is to fix them so i can save all of my money up for it:biggrin2:

For males, a neuter is usually around the £50 mark. Females are more expensive, and spays are often in the £60s, to even the £80s.

:)

ohh thats not as bad as i thought that will be good for both of my bunnies thank you for your help i think ill ask the vet when i take them:biggrin2:

No, and it's just a one time thing. And if you take them both together, you might get a discount ;)

jcottonl02 wrote:
For males, a neuter is usually around the £50 mark. Females are more expensive, and spays are often in the £60s, to even the £80s.

:)
c&c babies wrote:
ohh thats not as bad as i thought that will be good for both of my bunnies thank you for your help i think ill ask the vet when i take them

She's quoting you in Euro's. When I had my last girl spayed a few years ago it was $120ish Canadian. But the prices all depend on where you live.

No I'm quoting in pounds, but you're right- it would be more in dollars, I keep forgetting there's many people here who live in America/Canada :D

Latest posts

Back