Bunny flops

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love to see Pernod and Perry flop and roll, andthey usually do it back to back on a night time. However, Perry hasoccassionally 'flopped' over and over again, and pants and seemsuncomfortable and won't eat. It first happened a little overa year ago, when I let them out in the morning. At first I thought hewas happy, then, when he continually flopped and rolled, and didn't eathis breakfast, I panicked. I called the vet, and made an immediateapointment, but by the time he saw us, about an hour later, Perry wasfine and back to his normal self, and very hungry. The vet stillchecked him and couldn't find anything wrong. Since then, it hashappened twice more. These times I haven't been to the vet, and sureenough, an hour or so later, he is fine and playing andeating. Any ideas???? The flops aren't like hishappy and contented ones, which is why I wonder if they are somethingmore sinister. Thanks guys - Jan

LuvaBun wrote:
...Perry has occassionally 'flopped' over and over again,and pants and seems uncomfortable and won't eat. It firsthappened a little over a year ago, when I let them out in the morning.At first I thought he was happy, then, when he continually flopped androlled, and didn't eat his breakfast, I panicked....

Our Calbert has flopped and rolled several times while wallowing indirt, much like I've seen dogs do. I have no explanation forthe behavior. He is otherwise quite normal.

As Perry seems to "return" to normal as well and the vet can find noobvious problem, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Hard tofigure out what goes on in their silly little headssometimes. Marking territory? Picking upsomebunny else's scent? Goofing? Who knows?

If it appears he is losing his balance and is tumbling unintentionally,that is a horse of a different color and torticollis(Wry Neck) might besuspected. Have you noticed any rapid eye movements to theright or left, in a repetitious manner? That oftenaccompanies Wry Neck. Prognosis for Wry Neck is not terriblygood, but a competent vet should be able to recognize the symptoms andI suspect U.K. vets might be more bunny savvy than most due to thelarge number of rabbits being kept there as pets.

I don't know if seizures cause behavior such as you describe, or not. Perhaps, someone else may have more to add.

I wouldn't get too upset, just yet.

Buck

Thanks, Buck. No, there isn't any rapid eyemovement, and his balance is fine - he is in control of all of hismovements, fortunately, and it only happens occassionally (only 3 timesin over a year). Perhaps he just wants his mommy to worry (which I do!)

Jan

Hi Luvabun,

A seizure in rabbits usually takes the wind out of them and they'reexhausted afterwards. They wouldn't have control of their movementswhile in the seizure, usually. The act of a seizure can raise theirtemperature. An idiopathic epilepsy seizure (usually found in whiterabbits or rabbits with blue eyes) could find the rabbit in recoveryonly later have one days, weeks, or months later. There's usually nowarning of an onset.

Seizures usually look like a thrashing rather than a flop and it lastsfor a couple of minutes and the rabbit's recovery can returncompletely. Some rabbits can hurt their backs during one. (Maybe that'swhat happened with the rabbit mentioned above. Hard to know.)

Things that can cause seizures would be anything from parasiteinfection, to problems with their central nervous system, neurologicalissues, a viral infection, toxicity (in a plant or such), and of courseinternal issues such as abscesses, G.I. Stasis can promote one, bloodhaving imbalances, sugar problems, and many other things, or evenmedication issues.

You want to make sure you have a proper diagnosis of them if you are tostart medication. Not saying that it is seizures, but just pointing outwhat it would be like.

Is there any frothing at the mouth? Does he pass out for a few secondsafterwards? Are the two rabbits in the same cage? Is he aggressiveafter he comes out of his flopping?

Try to prevent him from hurting himself while having one of theseepisodes if you suspect seizure, and be prepared to bring thetemperature down as often it goes very high.

-Carolyn

P.S.? I'll pray for you and yourbabies.??? ?

The flopping and rolling is a sign of lack ofbalance. Some rabbits may only show symptoms occasionally,and the inner ear disturbance may sometimes be parasiterelated. I think everyone's posts have covered theposibilities rather well. You might consider regularlytreating with Ivomec -- however, it is a good idea to consult with yourvet first. If it is a neurological problem, and there is agenetic predispostion to sensitivity to certain medications, Ivomeccould be harmful. Ivomec would be helpful both in the case ofear mites or E. cuniculi. Medicated ear drops might also behelpful.

Wish I could narrow it down more for you, but there are many different causes of dizziness or lack of balance.

Buck had mentioned watching forrabid eye movement(nystigmus). This can also be a clue to the cause dependingon whether the eyes are moving horizontally or vertically.

Although it has only happened occasionally, I suspect that this problem will worsen in time.

Pam

Oh Jan! I hope it'ssomething silly or easily taken care of! The others are so much moreeducated on this kind of thing than I am. I did have a dog that hadseizures. The vet and "dog people" had me scared half to death aboutall the horrible things it meant for us. I only witnessedthema couple times in her entire life. She was an inside dog and I was astay at home mom during her time. She lived for twelve happyyears, so I think that is an indication that things aren't always text book cases.So, don't get tooupset yet!

Raspberry

Dearest Jan,

Raspberry's absolutely right.

Some rabbits can pull through. Try not to panic.This is by no means a death sentence for your baby.Medication can be given to stop them like Diazepam and some others ifyour vet thinks it's necessary. Make sure the rabbit staysfed (even if you have to force feed him) and hydrated. Ifit's an inner ear problem with parasites, that can certainly behelped.There are different degrees ofSeizures as well. You can haveabloodtestdone on the little guy forsigns of a brain disorder.

-Carolyn

Thanks to you all for your support and comments.I am sure they aren't seizures he's having - I also had a dog that hadthem, and they are nothing like that. There is no frothing atthe mouth, and he doesn't seem unduly tired afterwards. As foraggression, I've never seen Perry aggressive -he never nips, growls oranything (unlike Pernod). There also are no signs of dizziness. I amtaking both bunns to the vet this Friday, for their myxomatosisvaccination, so I will ask again then. Thanks again, I do worry aboutmybabies- Jan

I'm so happy to hear that Jan.? Will keep you inmy prayers with Pernod and Perry.? Try to take note to the atmosphereor environment in the house when these things happen. Does he just wantout? Was there a loud bang?

Once I swore Tucker had a seizure, but in actuality, he was so mad and he was kicking all for sides of the cage to get out.

I'm glad that?he's not exhausted after them.? Do keep us posted.?

-Carolyn

Also have the vet take a look deep down in theear to see if there is possible infection or ear mites. The"rolling"might indicate an inner ear problem that could bedue to some of the causes mentioned above.

You can find more extensive info here:

http://tinyurl.com/7yoke

Good luck and let us know what the vet says.

Pam

Pam, I found this very interesting. At the momentPerry is totally his normal, happy self and shows no signs of anything.All his 'functions' are normal and he has been racing and binkyingaround the garden. I will let you know how we get on onFriday. Thanks for your support- Jan

Latest posts

Back