Bunny fell off bed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi! As luck would have it my bunny managed to fall off the bed about 30 minutes ago, although it's my fault.. Her xpen which is her day sleeping area is usually right next to the bed below it. However, yesterday I had to move the xpen to fix a blanket she dig up underneath and forgot to push it all the way back. She currently sleeps with me, usually above my head or next to me, she has her own pillow but for whatever reason tonight she chose to sleep close to the xpen. I woke up because I heard her fall. She freaked out a lot, was very confused for a moment but when she came to me she immediately tried to hump my arm and then started to lick my hand ( spring is coming 😅 ) She's acting 100% like herself. She's eating and drinking. Her teeth seem ok and she's running around and jumping up with no problem. She's currently doing binkies because she's happy I'm up and sitting with her so early haha. Should I take her to the vet? The bed isn't too high it's about 40cm and she fell off before when she got a bit too excited while playing and she was fine but it was different. I'm a bit worried she could've hit her head, I didn't see her fall only heard it. She's had an upset tummy for the past couple of days and she's only now getting slightly better. I wouldn't want to stress her out unnecessarily but I am both worried and paranoid.

It's not something I'd be overly concerned about if my rabbit was still behaving normally, eating, and not showing signs of injury or being in pain. I would just keep an eye out for anything developing. But if you have any concerns, it's best to consult with your knowledgeable rabbit vet.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Veterinary_emergencies

It's not something I'd be overly concerned about if my rabbit was still behaving normally, eating, and not showing signs of injury or being in pain. I would just keep an eye out for anything developing. But if you have any concerns, it's best to consult with your knowledgeable rabbit vet.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Veterinary_emergencies
Thank you! I called an emergency vet in the meantime because I was freaking out and she said the exact same thing. She said she'd be more worried about her tummy if got spooked by the incident and to watch out for stasis.

Update: She's still acting relatively normal although very hormonal. The only thing is the GI issues got much worse after yesterday which I assume and hope is caused by the shock/stress of the fall. She passed this yesterday after a lot of belly rubs and a 2 doses of fibreplex. She's gotten more gassy today. She is still eating, drinking and pooping but less. She also peed on the bed this morning. Does this look like sludge? She's been peeing all over the place lately but she's also been very hormonal and even spraying the urine so I assumed it was spring fever but this looks weird. She did it again when I was at work which she tends to do when I leave ( been washing a lot of blankets lately ) but that one looks more normal, it just looks like she's a bit dehydrated plus her pee usually turns more red/orange color from the probiotic. I'm wondering if the GI issues are maybe caused by a UTI but I'm probably being paranoid. What confuses me is she just zoomed around did a verry happy binky then 5 minutes later was pressing her tummy on the ground squinting and I could hear the gas. I gave her some cc mixed with a lot of water to hydrate her and I gave her some metacam for the pain. I'm not sure if I should try to wait it out and see how she does or take her to the vet tomorrow or on friday. I don't want to stress her out more.

Attachments

• 20240207_074824.jpg
    20240207_074824.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240207_121318.jpg
    20240207_121318.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240207_224133.jpg
    20240207_224133.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
That is some thicker calcium sediment, but not the most severe. The color could be normal, or it might indicate dehydration or a UTI. The peeing on the bed could be hormones, secondary peeing because of an upset cramping stomach, or a UTI.

If she's having reoccurring gassy/upset stomach episodes, I'd suggest trying to see if it seems to correspond to happening after she eats a particular food or medication. Unless it mainly happens when she's shedding, then it could have to do with fur ingestion. I had a bun that kept getting GI stasis, and I discovered the culprit was his pelleted food after I noticed him acting uncomfortable, eye squinting, shifting positions, and belly pressing about a half hour following eating them, which he exhibited these symptoms every time after eating pellets. I put him on a pellet free (and no sugary foods) diet and he never had stasis again.

Or the acting uncomfortable and reduced appetite could have to do with bladder sludge and UTI discomfort. That's something you'd have to ask your vet to look into if you suspect this. I lean more toward an upset digestive system though, because of the elongated poop.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Urine

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bladder_sludge_and_stones

Back