Bunny eating poop! (not cecals)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezling

Reaction score
I have noticed my bunny eating his poop several times over the past few days (and no, it's not cecals. It's the actual round dropping with some undigested hay in it).
Any idea why he might be doing that all of a sudden?
I feed him unlimited timothy hay and unlimited tomothy-based pellets along with some romaince lettuce every single day. He's around 4 months old.
He's recently been on antibiotics for his cold but other than that he is a happy and active bunny.
Is it normal for bunnies to eat their actual poop?

Mordin has also eaten a few of his poos before. He doesn't do it very often, it's more of a "hey whats this, I'm gonna eat it" type of thing. Ick, lol.

I believe some rabbits do this from time to time, I doubt it's anything to worry about. Did you ever witness him doing it before? Perhaps he it was accidental and ate it when he was eating cecals, he maybe noticed the hay sticking out of it and decided to take a nibble, maybe he was bored, possibly the cage looked dirty and he decided to clean it up (!) or he was curious.

These are just some ideas. :) I'm no expert, hopefully someone with more experience could elaborate a little bit more on it. I can't see any real harm in it personally, but if it continues perhaps call your vet and ask. :)

If it's just an occasional thing, then that can be somewhat normal with rabbits. But if he seems to be doing it a lot, it may be some sort of nutrient deficiency. With him being younger than 6 months old, and he's on timothy hay and timothy pellets, he may not be getting enough protein and calcium in his diet. You could add alfalfa hay to his diet to make up for it. Just make sure to slowly introduce it into the diet, so it doesn't cause digestive upset. Young rabbits need a good amount of protein and calcium in their diet, since they are still growing. Usually you need to feed an alfalfa based pellet if you are feeding grass hay, or if feeding a timothy pellet, then you need to feed alfalfa hay. Then they will be sure to get the extra protein and calcium that their growing bodies need. So you may want to switch one of the timothy things that you are feeding, but do it slowly because suddenly introducing alfalfa can cause digestive problems with some rabbits.

Unfortunately, I can't get alfalfa hay where I live.
Finding a good-enough pellet took me ages as most pet stores here only stock the muesli crap.
He definitely doesn't eat all his poop as I find plenty of them droppings in the litter box so he's not ingesting copious amounts.
As far as I know, he's only done it several times over the past few days but it's possible that he's done it before and I just never noticed(?).
At least I'm relieved that he's not the only bun who's done that.

Back