Bunny Eating Litter Box Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lena

Reaction score
I just adopted a bunny from a local shelter today and noticed he will eat hay from the litter box when we have clean hay there too. Is there any way to try to make him not eat from his litter box? It just seems kind of unhealthy to eat hay with fresh poo on it :?

Mmm... poopy hay :p

A lot of rabbits like to munch and poop at the same time. You could put in a hay rack above the litterbox.. I bet Francis would be a big fan of that :)

The poops aren't cecotrophs, are they? If the poos look like masses of grapes, he will be consuming those again.

Like Autumn said....I would hang a hay rack above the litterbox. Thats what I do. And I use Yesturday News for Litter in the litterbox. It's Unscented Cat Yest. News. It's like a 30 lb. bag for $15. At Petsmart.

It won't hurt him though to eat his hay from his litterbox ;)

Yeah his poop does look a bit like bunches of grapes sometimes.
Another problem: It seems like he doesn't want to poo in his litter box...any ideas why? I put some used litter from his litter box at the shelter into his new litter and he does hop into the box. But he is mostly pooing outside on a mat instead of in the litter box.

NorthernAutumn wrote:
Mmm... poopy hay :p
:tonguewiggle

It's true, they don't really care. I put Snuff's in a small tupperware container. I've seen a real cool idea though. Hanging an upside down empty milk gallon with the bottom cut out and opened up a bit for a hay contaiiner over litterbox.

I will search for the pic, might take days...:p

Latest posts

Back