Bunny digging out litter in pan -- but think I know the reason

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinnabun121212

Reaction score
Lately I've observed a bad behavior with my rabbit (had her for a month now).

I know she loves to eat hay while pooping and all has been good until I switched hay brands. I was first using the Kaytee hay and then switched to Oxbow. I noticed she has become very picky about which pieces of hay she eats and while pooping often will turn around and kick around to to get the pieces she prefers. She's also doing this with the pan in her cage.

Tomorrow I am going to buy another bag of the Kaytee Hay and see if she continues digging. I would prefer to buy her the Oxbow but if this is the cause of her bad behavior I'll switch back.

Does anyone think this could be causing the problem??

Will post back with the results in a few days! :popcorn2

Monty digs her hay out of the holder to get at the numerous seed heads that Oxbow has. I have to hand-pick them out and lay them on the floor of her crate, or else she will dig for them. I also got a piece of the plastic light grid and cut it to lay on top of her litter, and she can no longer get to the litter to make a mess. I wasn't separating the hay back when I had to get a bag of Kaytee when Oxbow was out of stock, but I do recall seeing just as many seed heads in theirs too.

Hi again, It's been a while since I posted but happy to say I have since solved the "litter digging problem". I found a litter pan at Petsmart that has a grid which secures on with a rim and working great!! I just throw some hay in the corner of it and she sits real nice now :). I just need to get a smaller one to attach inside her cage haha!

I highly recommend one of these litter pans for any of you who have diggers!!

Latest posts

Back