Bunny Diagnosed with Snuffles

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 2 and half month old bunny (lionhead) was diagnosed with snuffles. She is being treated with cefa-drops and antibiotci eye ointment as well as receiving a genamycin shot in the vet office.

I have some questions:

Can this rabbit ever be shown or is this something she will always carry?

I am not planning on breeding this doe, but I know my daughter would like to show her...but if it is not a good idea...its no big deal.

I do not have any other rabbits.

Are there any supplements that she can take after treatment to keep her immune system strong?

Are there any other concerns I should have?

I have started giving the bunny probios since she has started the antibiotics.

Hi,

Your post really concerns me. How was "snuffles" diagnosed? There is really no such thing. That is old school terminology from a time when very little was known about rabbits. It is supposed to mean an upper respiratory infection. It's usually an infection caused by a bacteria known as pasteurella multocida. While it many times presents itself as an upper respiratory infection, it can in fact invade any body tissue. Pasteurella is carred subclinically in all mammals (including humans) and many birds. It is an opportunistic bacteria which means it is easily controlled by the body's immune system....unless something causes the immune system to become stressed. There are also many different things that can cause symptoms that mimic "snuffles".....allergies, dental issues, eye issues and true respiratory infections to name a few. And in times past, most vets treated assuming pasteurella but that can no longer be assumed. A culture and sensitivity should be performed to pinpoint the exact cause and rabbit safesolution to the infection.

I am not a vet and don't want to contradict a professional....but I am very very concerned about the drugs being used. If I remember correctly, Cefa Drops is a drug known as Cephadroxil. It isnot really high up on most vet's drug list forrabbits (and I have had several discussion with my vet on potential use of this drug in rabbits). This class of drugs is absorbed mainly thru the intestinal tract....it's also closely related to penicillin. And giving penicillin orally to a rabbit is not usually a good thing. It usually results in seriousGI upsets. It has been used successfully in some unusual situations as an injectable.Gentamycin is also not high on most vet's list for rabbits. It can be very rough on several body systems especially the kidneys.

Again, I am not attempting to contradict your vet....but I am suggesting that you discuss this line of treatment with your doctor. There may be a perfectly good reason why a rabbit savvy vet would prescribe these drugs. And if these drugs are successful....I would really like to know as I need to do some research. Best wishes to your bunny.

Randy

He diagonosed through clinical signs..no test. He gave the cefa-drops due to the age of the bunny and size. He thought the baytril would be more detrimental to give to her then the cefa drops. She is only getting 0.5 dosage once a day.

So far bunny seems to be improving and eating and drinking very well. I have given her probios as well. She is still happy and active.

I am keeping a very close eye on her. She had white discharge from both eyes as well as nose with some sneezing.

Could you tell me what your situation was with the vet? or post link?

The vet said that Baytril has damaged cartilage...he did not think Baytril was a good choice for a young growing rabbit.

Back