Bunny dewlaps

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't care for them either. Both the girls I had didn't have much of one, but I hope I'll get used to it when I get my Flemmie one day.

I will admit I don't find dewlaps that flattering. But I'm sure the bun's personality would overpower my dislike for them. ;)

Really? I love them!

Nothing better than to snuggle with a bunny with a massive dewlap :p. I think it's a cute feature for the girlies with little (or sometimes massive!) double chins, hehe!

hehe, echo has a lil dwlap goin!! its a man-chin!

I don't mind the way they look, but it's frustrating whena doe has a big dewlap and is always getting it wet when she drinks. Tends to lead to skin iritations and infections.

I thought dewlaps aren't good for bunnies like they can get too big and unable to clean their genitals then they can get flystrike etc etc.? okay i'll shut up now lol.

I think dewlaps are cute! At what age do bunnies get them? I get the feeling Phoebe Mae will have one, she's about 9 weeks old and already seems to have a little extra skin there. I plan to get her spayed at 6 months, does spaying stop the growth of the dewlap? I don't know if I read that somewhere or not, but it seems to make sense that spayed females wouldn't have as big dewlaps.

They are cute!:D

(I think they get them after puberty, aka, surgery.)

I think males develop Moolaps as determined by it's parent's! It just depends, a male may not get them. You never know.;)

On Malesthey're called Moolaps, haha!;)

Crystal, my boyfriend disagrees. He thinks the correct term for a dewlap on a male rabbit is "dudelap". Discuss.

I didn't like dewlaps that well on rabbits until we got Suzette, our 6 month old Flemish Giant. Apparently the Flemish Giant does tend toward pretty massive dewlaps. Suzette has just a modest one at this point, and I actually find it very becoming. But then, love is blind, and I am definitely in love with this girl.

I met Suzette's mom, a massive Flemish Giant with an overwheliming dewlap. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that they thought dewlaps could get so big that they could hinder the rabbit's maintaining its personal hygeine, but Suette's mom's coat, etc. looked to be in excellent condition. Since Suzette's dewlap will probably only grow more marked through time, I would like to know more about potential hygeine issues. I get that a substantial dewlap can get irritated and infected from its inconvenience at the water dish so I'd really just like to know more things like whether they ever get so large they inhibit cecotrophy, etc.

MyRabbits wrote:
Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that they thought dewlaps could get so big that they could hinder the rabbit's maintaining its personal hygeine, but Suette's mom's coat, etc. looked to be in excellent condition. Since Suzette's dewlap will probably only grow more marked through time, I would like to know more about potential hygeine issues. I get that a substantial dewlap can get irritated and infected from its inconvenience at the water dish so I'd really just like to know more things like whether they ever get so large they inhibit cecotrophy, etc.
I haven't heard personally of one ever getting so big that it hinders grooming and the like, but of course that doesn't mean it never happens. I have only ever had one doe that had a problem with getting the skin infections in the dewlap, and I have raised Flemish. WhatI did with her wasantibitioticsto clear the infection, and shave the fur across her little chest to help prevent it coming back. We didn't shave it to the skin, just very short.

I remember a while back Ivory had a bunny the had a dewlap reduction. It was a successful operation.

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
They are cute!:D

(I think they get them after puberty, aka, surgery.)

I think males develop Moolaps as determined by it's parent's! It just depends, a male may not get them. You never know.;)

Males get them too, and they're called Moolaps on them (males), haha!;)
Crystal, I LOVE the term Moolaps!!! DID you make it up?? :roflmao:

Barney has a Moolap!! It's mostly just extra fluffiness, and it gets wet as he drinks, bless him!:) He has a bigger moolap than the girls do lol!

Snowy has a little one, it used to be a lot bigger but she's lost it a bit since she's been spayed I think. Mouse and Chalk only appear to have them when they strike the 'duck pose' but they don't really.

I think they're cute, as long as they're not too big! Saying that, Elf has quite the dewlap and she is beeeeautiful! :D

I have read the thread on Ivory's bunny and it was an amazing story!

Dodge had a massive dewlap, I thought she was beautiful with it :D. I haven't had a bunny with a dewlap since :(.

04.jpg

dodge2.jpg

Her dewlap was multi-layered, now that I think back on it might have been a good idea to get the flaps over her front legs checked out, I didn't really know about that sort of thing back then though:

arabbit2.jpg

MyRabbits wrote:
I would like to know more about potential hygeine issues. I get that a substantial dewlap can get irritated and infected from its inconvenience at the water dish so I'd really just like to know more things like whether they ever get so large they inhibit cecotrophy, etc.

Here's a few links? i tried to find osme good ones to help.

Rabbit Health Overview ( 5th paragraphs )

Training Your Pet Rabbit

Impaction, fly strike, urine scald and other problems affecting the rear end (theres only about a sentence in this link )

Textbook of Rabbit Medicine

heres a short article.
Which animals may be affected? (flystrike)
Flies will strike any healthy animal, but generally it is those which have a wet or dirty groin, which are most at risk. However, any rabbit which is unable to clean itself properly may become infected. Typically this includes obese rabbits, females with large dewlaps, or skin folds around their abdomen, rabbits with urinary problems, elderly or arthritic rabbits, long-coated breeds, and rabbits with teeth problems who are unable to groom themselves.

heres the wholel link
Flystrike-Golden Bunnies Rabbit Forum

there's alot more but i dnt wanna help by bothering lol.

Hope that helped.

Prisca :pinkbouce:

Latest posts

Back