bunny dandruff?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelldoo

Reaction score
my angora is 4 months old, she is groomed daily, but last night she had a small patch of flaky skin right at the back of her neck, it is about the size of a dime. it isn't red, just white flaky. she isn't scratching it, and doesn't seem uncomfortable. my rabbit books all say dandruff *could be* mites, so can dandruff be just dandruff? would mites be wider spread?should i call the vet just in case? thanks for any advice.

shell

Dandruff usually indicates fur mites, which are not uncommon in wooled breeds. Most certainly take your rabbit to the vet to get started on a topical or injectable fur mite medication.

Pam

The location makes fur mites very likely. My Daisy had similar flakes on her ears soon after spaying, but the vet determined they were hormone-related.

Ryo had flakes on her ears before too, and my vet also said that its hormone related, so your vet isnt crazy or nothing!

but yeah, sounds like shelldoo's bunny has mites

Note that mites are usually caused by lack of cage cleanliness. I pour extremely hot water all over the cage, tray, & all surfaces of the boards once a month & have had no more outbreaks.

hmmm, the vet said he feels it is just regular dandruff. he did give me topical treatments jic but said it just looks like flakes. neither of the 2 other bunnies (my chocolate and my best friend's black, which i am sitting) are showing any signs of flakes, which if it were mites, would be contagious. this past weekend my brother in law accidentally bought alphalpha hay instead of timothy, that we always have used. the vet said that could have caused dandruff? we scrub down the cages w/ vinegar and hot water daily, and they also get fresh bedding daily, so the cage *seems* not to be the culprit. we go back to the vet next thurs. morning i will keep yall posted. thanks for the input.

shelldoo wrote:
hmmm, the vet said he feels it is just regular dandruff. he did give me topical treatments jic but said it just looks like flakes. neither of the 2 other bunnies (my chocolate and my best friend's black, which i am sitting) are showing any signs of flakes, which if it were mites, would be contagious. this past weekend my brother in law accidentally bought alphalpha hay instead of timothy, that we always have used. the vet said that could have caused dandruff? we scrub down the cages w/ vinegar and hot water daily, and they also get fresh bedding daily, so the cage *seems* not to be the culprit. we go back to the vet next thurs. morning i will keep yall posted. thanks for the input.

I would still suspect fur mites -- they are not always easy to detect, but can sometimes be found under the microscope clinging to a fur shaft. Some rabbits are more susceptible than others, so it's not unusual to only have one rabbit with mites.

The statement that fur mites are generally caused by uncleanliness is not true. Age and general health are primary factors. Angoras and very young or very old rabbits are more prone to fur mites. As Bunman noted, the back of the neck is a very common site for fur mite infestation to start.

Fur mites are so common in Wooled breeds, that many breeders have their angoras on preventative treatment programs and may give Ivermectin as frequently as once a week during show season.

Pam

I could be wrong. Websites i just checked did not give any causes for mite infestation. The only site i found discussing causes (some time ago) stated that cage cleanliness is the main factor. In terms of my own experience, i had one rabbit that had them, i think at age 5. His health otherwise was fine. After treatment he never had them again. That was when i started my strict "clean the cage monthly" rule.

thanks yall, i cleaned her cage (diluted bleach then a vinegar rinse), after i did her treatment, better safe then sorry imho. but i would have to agree it doesn't neccisarily have to do w/ cage cleanliness, as i clean(remove paper, bedding, toys, litter etc and wipe down) the cages daily. i don't know how i would be able to clean it better, the cage is huge 4x3 foot and i get inside and scrub it down every day after i groom.

i will let ya know if she continues to be flaky or if her treatments clear things up.

Latest posts

Back