Bunny choking (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Selena RD

Reaction score
My bunny Lisa that is 3 turning 4 this year so I gave her 1/4 pellets every night and I left her in her bedroom then I came back 5 minutes later and she was choking yellow stuff from her mouth and nose so I did the heimlich maneuver because one of my bunnies did this and it saved them but when I put her down she put her nose in the air and more can out she still sounded weird then lay in a ball started falling to the side and I picked her up she went limp unresponsive started kicking and passed away all in 7 minutes I wish I could've saved her

That might be something to discuss with your vet. But I imagine it would be similar to what is done for human choking. You have to keep trying to clear the obstruction, even after they lose conciousness. I would think that she must have still had an obstructed airway, either that or went into cardiac arrest due to the stress, which rabbits can be prone to, being such a delicate little animal.

Here's a link with choking info regarding rabbits. But keep in mind that the info discussed can be highly dangerous and harmful if done incorrectly, and should really only be done under advisement and instruction from a knowledgeable rabbit vet.

https://vgr1.com/choking/

@Selena RD my heart hurts for yours 💔.
May Lisa binky freely on the other side, without pain.
Cyber hugs to you.. losing a bun is never easy and they always take a piece of our hearts with them so they can have us with them on the other side 💞

So sorry for your loss--sometimes it just happens no matter what we do. Had a couple that were fine in the morning and gone in the afternoon with no signs of anything wrong. It's hard to get over the hole left in your heart, but knowing that she was loved and given a great life by you helps.

I had to many I lost this year and last year I'll miss them all
R.I.P
Chandawn April 14, 2018 - December 2018 (bloat)
Mark January 14, 2018 - July 31, 2021
(Weak immune system)
Haeji July, 24 2020 - July 30, 2021
(Kit)
Keewoon May 23rd 2019 - November 2021 (liver problem)
Sungchi May 23rd 2019 - December 2021 (bloat)
Guanheon April 14, 2018 - December 2021 (pneumonia)
Yugi March 3rd 2019 - December 2021
(Weight loss)
Nala January 12 2022 - January 15 2022
(Kit)
Lisa, May 24th 2018 - February 4 2022
(cardiac arrest)

[QUOTE}
(Quote content edited by moderator for inappropriate language)
[/QUOTE]
You don't know what I went through I been taking care of bunnies for more then 4 years and my first bunny that passed I went to the wrong vet that didn't know exotic it was the closest thing when his body went cold and my kits I couldn't help they passed they didn't make it from birth my mark had the right vet and the right antibiotics and still went in a cardiac arrest with a bad bacteria and then my baby keewoon came from a place that was so dirty and he lived on pellets only with yellow in his ears and eyes and they gave him to me cause they didn't know what to do with his weight loss and my Sungchi was treated and she still didn't make it and my Guan had a pneumonia that was so hard to beat we tried so many things 6 different vets to the point we had to put him to sleep cause he was breathing so hard and my yugi that died of cancer but his weight lost took him out first and my baby Lisa that i couldn't even save from choking tell me how in hell to prevent that and I have a healthy 7 year old a 5 year old with a heart problem but still healthy a 3 year old with a heart murmur but healthy and 3 4 year Olds I wish I could've saved all of them (edited).

Last edited by a moderator:
@Selena RD my heart hurts for yours 💔.
May Lisa binky freely on the other side, without pain.
Cyber hugs to you.. losing a bun is never easy and they always take a piece of our hearts with them so they can have us with them on the other side 💞
I'm sorry she's putting u into this I know my first bunny I didn't do my best for but I did for the all the rest thanks for the hug

@Selena RD I am sorry you are being attacked, especially when you are grieving.
I extend my hand to you to help you through this difficult time of loss. And I thank yo u for trying your best with all your buns 💖
Sometimes our best can't fix them 💔

@Selena RD I am sorry you are being attacked, especially when you are grieving.
I extend my hand to you to help you through this difficult time of loss. And I thank yo u for trying your best with all your buns 💖
Sometimes our best can't fix them 💔
I really wish I could've saved them I would've payed anything I have and try vets miles away to help. &
thank u so much for your kindness

Thank u all for the messages I got my cremation of my baby today it hurts so much living with her she'll always be in heart with all my babies

Latest posts

Back