Bunny Bureacracy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lelanatty

Natty Dwarfs Rabbitry
Reaction score
I am just wondering how everyone keeps their rabbitry organized. How do you keep track of dates that your does are to kindle, and their litter records like how many babies they have, etc. Also, how do you keep your pedigrees and make new pedigrees for your Juniors?

I use two different methods that work well together.

As mentioned before, I use Evan's computer software. It is a great software, you can create pedigrees for new babies, keep track of litters, and print out pedigrees, which saves a lot of time compared to hand writing them.

I also keep a binder full of paper copies of all the pedigrees, registration papers, legs, and other records.

I have had my computer crash and lost everything off of my Evans before, so I find that keeping a hard copy of everything makes sense.

As mentioned, the Evans Software works real well for tracking rabbits, pedigree's, breedings and litters, chores and genetics on your computer. (There are other pedigree tracking programs! Everyone has their own preferences.) And a "hard-copy" print out of all the pedigrees is totally necessary.

But I also keep a huge calender hanging in the barn. When ever I breed someone, I notethedam and bucks names (and ear #'s)on the calander. Then I count 27 days and make a note on that date to give them a nest box. And another notation on the due date. If I'm going to palpate, I make a note on that date... that way, I can check the calendar each morning and see what needs to be done and for who. Doesn't take much time and keeps things organized. I sit down and enter the breedings in the computer about every two weeks...Then if/when the litter is born, Iupdate it.

And keep those calendars! They were invaluable when my hard drive crashed a few months ago and I lost a lot of info!

I wish I could afford Evans... :(

Right now I write out all my pedigrees using the pedigree books from ARBA. I have a binder that is divided into all my breeds and then litters in the back.

Each rabbit has its own clear page protector. The front is their pedigree and then I stick their leg papers and show remark cards in the back.

Where the litters go, I have a piece of lined paper where I write the parents and then how many were born. Then I add if there were still borns or deaths later etc. Once they are old enough, I add the babies names, colors, and genders. Behind that lined paper is another page prtector. It holds one blank pedigree for every baby. When they are weaned, I fill out the pedigrees and place them back in, until they are seniors. Then they get their own page like the others.

Rabbits for sale have their pedigrees in the back pocket...

I think thats all. lol :p

EDIT: Here are pictures of it. lol

PC280356.jpg

PC280359.jpg

PC280360.jpg

PC280361.jpg

Calendar in the barn, Evans, Outlook on the computer and hard copies of all pedigrees with legs in plastic sleeves. I also had my Evans backed up on a flash drive that I keep in the fire safe.

Roger

Same thing for me with Briana. I just have a Binder, And I printed out blank calendar and I write everything on it

Evans softaware, backed up weekly(along with the rest of my computer). I also keep monthly updated hard copies in a binder with all my show reports(I'm only missing two, both from Rhinebeck NY; 2006(lost), 2009(never got)), legs are in the sleeve with their rabbit ped.
As for the breeding tracks, I have my calendar on my bedroom wall!! my planner book that I also use to keep track of horse wormer and meds, my appointments, my work hours, also keeps track of rabbit breedings, birthdates, due and kindle dates!

The only problem i'm having is I've had rabbits for 5+ years and to enter all the litters from before I got evans until I got evans is such a pain!!

I have a folder with different sections init, pedigree, shows etc...

I have a data base on my computer were I keep track of the rabbits and the tattoo system, I can click search and it shows up all the details of the rabbit..name, age ,sex, color, breeder, DOB, Pedigree, CC's, wins, DOD, Litters.

My sisters ordered me the Evans software for my birthday, and I am eagerly waiting for it to arrive. To date I have a notebook with pedigrees and legs in separate sleeves, and also show results, another notebook with weights of litters as they progress and dates of breeding. I am really hoping the Evans will also allow me to store the data on kit weights. Does anyone know if it will do that?

I use a binder that I keep all of my show reports, comment cards, pedigree copies, and anything else important in there. I have my 4-H showmanship study guides, and show catalogs as well.

For pedigrees, I use the book that you can order from ARBA, and just fill everything out by hand. I choose to do everything by hand because it takes a lot longer to plug everything into a computer based program, and make sure it's right, and I can have it easily accessable, and always at hand.

Me and my sister are working on a rabbitry binder that we can take to shows with us, and it'll basically be our website in a binder that people can look through, no peds or anything, but just pictures of our stock, available rabbits, set-up, and a copy of our sales policy.

Emily

MyRabbits wrote:
I am really hoping the Evans will also allow me to store the data on kit weights. Does anyone know if it will do that?
The Evans is great (IMHO!). Yes, you'll be able to store all that info with each rabbit on theirData page,in the "Comment" section. It'll just be a lot of work getting all the info in there. Just a suggestion, start with the older rabbits first and build on them.Once you have a rabbit in there, it's easier to enter decendants. (Easier than entering the younger rabbits and working backwards!)

Back