Bunny Breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zer0_online

Reaction score
We got Luna (our bunny) from a friend of a friend who breeds bunnies. They told us she was a Mini Lop. Of course being our first bunny I don’t really know how true that is! She probably about 3-4 months old? But I’m not entirely sure. Her ears were floppy when we got her but now only one ear kinda flops and she has one ear up. Any ideas?

P.S we love her just the same! We’re just curious! Thank you!!

Attachments

• B853C01D-BC81-4304-A788-67EFA9E6E7F2.jpeg
    B853C01D-BC81-4304-A788-67EFA9E6E7F2.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 19
  • E87DAFD6-8F4C-42F4-8E1A-A61EB27729A3.jpeg
    E87DAFD6-8F4C-42F4-8E1A-A61EB27729A3.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 6EDD0162-F37E-4C8C-94EB-2449F0600929.jpeg
    6EDD0162-F37E-4C8C-94EB-2449F0600929.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 22
  • A3C41495-A4DF-4B6F-B456-3B0C20693281.jpeg
    A3C41495-A4DF-4B6F-B456-3B0C20693281.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 21
That is not a mini lop for multiple reasons
Mini lops have very thick bone and a round bulldog head. They also don't come in that color.
Also, that rabbit has rex fur. That means it is some mix of a rex breed. Maybe a rex mix or a mini rex mix. With those ears it might even be a velveteen lop mix or "mini plush lop" mix (though imo all mini plush lops are pretty much mixes, there aren't any reputable breeders for the breed)
Look up a "black otter rex" rabbit to compare. Sometimes you even get purebred rex with ears that look like that, poor breeding can lead to low ear carriage like that

That is not a mini lop for multiple reasons
Mini lops have very thick bone and a round bulldog head. They also don't come in that color.
Also, that rabbit has rex fur. That means it is some mix of a rex breed. Maybe a rex mix or a mini rex mix. With those ears it might even be a velveteen lop mix or "mini plush lop" mix (though imo all mini plush lops are pretty much mixes, there aren't any reputable breeders for the breed)
Look up a "black otter rex" rabbit to compare. Sometimes you even get purebred rex with ears that look like that, poor breeding can lead to low ear carriage like that
Thank you! Definitely not a reputable breeder! We aren’t even familiar with this bunny breeder, as I said “friend of a friend” and I don’t think they had very good living conditions!! As I was searching online I also noticed the mini Rex!! Thank for the info and confirming some of my speculations!!

Yep, definitely has a lot of mini rex in her (I think they’re the only breed with that fur). She would look just like one if it weren’t for the floppy ears.

Yep, definitely has a lot of mini rex in her (I think they’re the only breed with that fur). She would look just like one if it weren’t for the floppy ears.
That’s exactly what I thought! Before we got her he said she was a “mini lop” and when I looked them up and when I got her she really did look like a mini lop but just a few weeks after she came home I did not think she looked like a lop! I came across the mini Rex and that’s EXACTLY what she looks like!!

*photo of when she first came home!

Attachments

• 88D706DE-6DF6-4648-8822-F1B450DC68F6.jpeg
    88D706DE-6DF6-4648-8822-F1B450DC68F6.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 8
That’s exactly what I thought! Before we got her he said she was a “mini lop” and when I looked them up and when I got her she really did look like a mini lop but just a few weeks after she came home I did not think she looked like a lop! I came across the mini Rex and that’s EXACTLY what she looks like!!

*photo of when she first came home!
Did you see the parents at all? Or have any pictures of them?

She’s super cute ☺! I have to agree Mini Rex is definitely in her genes. Although I have to say with how big and floppy her ears are she might have some sort of lop in her.
Thank you so much! She’s so sweet and playful! We love her! Working her up to be a free range bunny in our living room area (already bunny proofed)

Not a mini lop but a mini plush lop. Mini plush lops have a Rex coat. We have one and he looks very similar, except he’s a BEW.

Not a mini lop but a mini plush lop. Mini plush lops have a Rex coat. We have one and he looks very similar, except he’s a BEW.
Oh I should look up mini plush lop! Do you possibly have a picture of your mini plush?

Plush lops have mini lop faces though. This one has a Rex face. And the ears aren’t as velvety 🤔

She’s a very interesting rabbit - absolutely adorable though! But it might be best to just call her a “mini Rex mix” or even just a “mix”

Back