Bunny boys won't eat snacks :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitis3334

Reaction score
So the bunny boys are about 3 months old now and I wanted to introduce some snacks into their diet. I started with a slice of a clementine orange, they each sniffed it and backed their head away in shock from the scent. I decided to just leave 2 pieces in their food bowl in case they changed their mind. Well I found the orange slices tossed out of the cage in the morning. So I then tried a baby carrot, they totally ignored it! My rabbits I had in the past always ate whatever I gave them, I'm not use to snacks being rejected. Any ideas on what to try next? Right now the normal diet for them is unlimited pellets and hay.

i started with lettuce, but my first bun would never take it from me i had to put it somewhere they could grab it thsmelfs.

[align=center]My rabbits REALLY love dandelion greens, cilantro, and parsley. I recommend those.

Don't do normal lettuce if you try out what Cody said, do romaine =)

My younger bunny will sniff anything I give him by hand and I get a look like "You want me to eat that after you touched it?" But normally he'll eat it later after I leave.

At such a young age, I would tend to avoid giving them sugary foods such as fruit until they are used to greens. I'm sure you can introduce them very slowly but you'd want to be careful because they can easily have tummy issues. I'd start off with carrot tops, herbs, some romaine, etc. It's usually best to give one thing at a time so you can identify any item that they may be sensitive to as well. Is it possible that they still smellled the citrus from your hands or their bowl? I don't think many bunnies are very fond of citrus so maybe that is why they weren't interested. Mine usually turn up their noses at anything new. Eventually, they give in and nibble it cautiously. Lol. :)

Halucinate wrote:
thanks for correcting that Bailee phewwww :p i cant beleive i forgot to be specific.

[align=center]You're welcome =)
So I didn't come off rude? I was really afraid I would come off rude when I wasn't trying to be :biggrin:

Nela wrote:
At such a young age, I would tend to avoid giving them sugary foods such as fruit until they are used to greens. I'm sure you can introduce them very slowly but you'd want to be careful because they can easily have tummy issues.

Don't be concerned re. introducing snacks to rabbits this young; I would keep it simple with hay and pellets until they have fully digested GI tracts.
Veggies introduced slowly 1 at a time in small amounts at the most....

Do you hand feed anything? You could try starting by hand feeding their pellets so they get used to taking things from you. Just save a few from their usual dinner so you aren't actually giving them any extra. Once they learn you offer food by hand they might be more keen to try other things you offer. Hand feeding dinner is a good way to bond too :)

I have actually hand fed them pellets a few times. They have a really large food bowl for pellets, usually they go through one bowl a day, so for fun a few times before giving them the bowl I would feed them some pellets by hand. Overall they seem okay with it. Getting a bit off topic here, but they really aren't the snugly type of rabbits, not sure if it their age or what, but I take them out and they just run around like mad doing their binkying and chasing each other, then they sprawl out on the floor and go to sleep. They don't have much of an interest in me. Cricket enjoys having his head rubbed, but Firefly runs away, he will come over and sniff me, he enjoys trying to chew on my flip-flops when I'm wearing them, but otherwise he just wants to be with his brother. Also, how long does it take for rabbits to normally establish who is boss? I've had them for nearly 2 months and they still are mounting each other, which I'm attributing to them trying to determine who is boss.

Dominance isn't necessarily a fixed thing, as they grow they'll both think they have the potential to be top rabbit at different times and other factors influence the competition. For example if they get access to a new area they might have another tiff over who is boss or if one gets his hormones first. With two boys it's a good idea to neuter as soon as their testicles drop so that the mounting doesn't turn into fighting.

To make friends, try getting down on their level and lay on the floor. They'll have fun exploring you and can investigate you more. You'll also be less intimidating. Try that and hand feed them more often (try a pellet each time you visit during the day) and they'll soon be racing up to greet you :)

My boy won't eat anything the first time I offer it - he refuses all fresh fruit as well as carrots, but loves dried fruit. Maybe try that? I also use pellets as treats all the time - my two get very excited about getting pellets and don't seem to care that it's not any different than their normal food.

Latest posts

Back