Bunny Boxes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ntwhelan

Reaction score
Hello all,

I do lots of reading but usually don't have much to post: but now I have a question. I appeal to all you bunny house builders to tell me a safe way to fasten boxes together in a bunny-safe manner. In the past I have purchased bunny cottages only to watch my buns shred them to pieces. I have one that's fairly intact for now and had the bright idea to attach extra cardboard from boxes to the cottages. However my dilemma: what is a safe way to "glue/fasten" the boxes together? I thought of staples but am afraid the bunny's might accidentally ingest them as they tear the cardboard apart. Same goes of tape and glue. Any suggestions?

Nelson

i have the same problem with lady roxy - she certainly has her own ideas of interior decorating.......like you im worried about staples and glue etc. the last time i cut slots and made tabs to hold things together. a friend has a removal business and i take on the used packing boxes - these arent glued but fold together. i find they are much sturdier than the purpose built houses sold in the petshops.

when i was a child we used to do a lot of what was called junk modelling - making things from boxes and cardboard tubes. i always knew it would come in useful one day!!;)

If you do use glue, I'd suggest sticking to Elmer's glue or equivalent (the white stuff sold for use by kids) - it's milk-based, and what little the bun will ingest shouldn't pose a problem. The same would probably be true of paper tape rather than plastic - the paper base is fine, and there's not much glue (and what there is, is designed to be licked).

Now that is something I had not thought of: Elmers glue is supposedly safe for kids and paper tape meant to be licked.... Great idea. I also thought of using the plastic ties that some use for holding NIC panel-cages together...

I have a series of boxes that are just cut so the ends fit inside bigger boxes. I also have circles cut into the boxes where tubes slide in. The 'slot' method on steroids.

The 'fort' is tucked into a corner and extends under a buffet, so they can't push it around. All my bunnies prefer their toys and chew things to be fixed and not mobile.

I never spend money on buying the cottages, I just find boxes and tubes.

sas :bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back