bunny bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoesmom

Reaction score
We have a one year old Flemish Giant (fixed) and would like to get a new baby. Is there a sex that is easier to bond than others and am I getting into something that is hard to do? Would love any advise on this topic as I may go get new addition today.

I would highly suggest taking Zoe to a shelter or rescue for bunny dates. It lets them pick out their mate and marry for love rather than being forced into an arranged marriage. It makes bonding SO much easier!

Usually it is easiest to bond male/female pairs, but it all depends on the individual.

Generally, opposite sex pairs are easiest to bond. Of course they both should be spayed or neutered. Same sex pairs can work, but it is a bit more tricky, generally 2 females tend to be easier than 2 males. Of course, it really does depend a lot on the individual rabbits and their personalities and not as much on the sexes.

If your rabbit is a female, then I would recommend looking at a male, but also be open to a female.

Babies can be iffy. You don't really know what their personality will be like and they can change as they become adults and hormones come into play. You may need to wait for the younger one to mature more and get neutered before you can have them live together.

i can leave the baby in a separate cage until it gets older and get it fixed. Will they bond once they are both older? i would like them to live in harmony in the same pen someday. Our third bedroom has Zoes pen my husband build for her its quite large and could hold both comfortably. When we are home we let Zoe roam the house its bun proof.

Honestly that is the risk you take if you get an unaltered bun without a date. You don't really know what they will think of each other.

I have a male and female, both fixed that HATE each other! Gary is a goofball and ticks off Sophie to no end. Every meeting has ended up with the spinning kicks and them trying to kill each other. I can have a combination of any three out at once with no problem, but not thoes two. Luckily they are bonded to other rabbits so I just don't have both pairs out at once. I had wanted to get them all together so I didn't need fences at all, but that is not going to happen.

There are no guarantees that they will get along. You can do everything right and still have 2 rabbits that hate each other. Some just do not get along. Allowing them to meet before you get the 2nd one can help, but it is better if they are both adults.

Thanks for all the advise. We decided against getting the new rabbit. I just love Zoe so much I don't want to rock the boat. She is a happy bun!

Latest posts

Back