Bunny Bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarliz

Reaction score
I've had my lion head, Simba, for a year and a half now. He was 8weeks when I brought him home, and he's just shy of a year and a half. He was neutered when he was younger, and has been living alone since he was a baby.

He is free roaming. Were going to move into a new apartment, and he's going to have his own room. I'm looking to adopt another bun, and were going to pick him up after the move, and Simba gets settled. He is also a neutered male, about a year old.

Anyone have some suggestions as to how the best way to bond them would be? And would they like me less because of this?

Sarah

Some bonds are love at first sight, and some take longer to develop. Having them both neutered is a great first step.

Introduce on neutral territory, with 20 minute bonding sessions. Have a spray bottle handy to break up any disagreements that develop. Give them lots of pets and encouragement when they show signs of progress, and offer treats. You want them to associate each other with good things.

This process can take days, or weeks, or even months. Be patient and positive!

Hi There,
I was told to always end the bonding session on a positive note, 'cause bunnies have really good memory. So even if they have a bad moment, put them side-by-side and stroke them until they calm down before ending the session....that way they go to their separate places relaxed and not stewing over a contentious encounter.
There is also a great article about bunny bonding to be found here:
http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/bond.shtml
hope this helps!
yerz,
Ellen

Back