Bunnies Tummy/twisted spine

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RebeccaJC

Reaction score
I have been posting here about our lovely 9 week old mini lop which I am thinking of calling Tufty. I posted about how his hind legs had started to collapse beneath him and he was struggling to move. I took him to the vets who diagnosed him with a spinal injury caused by possible trauma (we moved him and the bunnies around in a box so think the mum might have been a bit rough they have since been separated). They said the only course of action was a steroid injection and if it got better they'd be able to give him another and hinted that if it didn't work.. putting him to sleep would be the next option which of course I don't want to go down that road. Fast forward a week or so later and after his first injection his back got a bit better.. he was putting weight on his back legs and wasn't shaking as much. His tummies really big which worried me as it seemed bloated.. took him to the vets 2 days ago.. they gave him another steroid injection.. checked his tummy and said its fine especially as he's still pooing and that chances are the steroids increasing his appetite so he's eating more.. however even tho he is pooing just fine.. his stomach seems to be a massive ball.. can't explain it.. it looks like he has a massive ball on his stomach? The vet said nothing about his twisted spine and said there's definitely no breakages from feeling him. 2 days later he's starting to put more weight on his back legs. He's not standing on them fully and collapsing less yet he seems to be in discomfort still and his spine still feels twisted.. when you pick him up it feels like you're going to snap him and his stomachs still looking as if it has a huge ball on it. Should i be concerned? Or should i trust the vets judgment especially as hes pooing normally and hes now putting more weight on his back legs and seems to be improving? Hes been to vet twice now (both different vets as the first vet we used wasn't in on the day we took him 2 days ago). I don't know. I guess I am just a bit concerned.. I don't want him suffering neither.. he doesn't seem to be in pain .. but seems to have discomfort when you pick him up.. just wriggles/is really restless. I don't know. Has anyone had this issue with their rabbit before?

I'm not a vet - so this is just my opinion. Did your vet rule out e. cuniculi by doing test for it? Because in a rabbit that age the most common reason for hind leg paralysis is e. cuniculi so your vet should have at least done the titer test to rule it out. If it were me I would start your bunny on Panacur which is a very safe worming paste that also kills e. cuniculi- many rabbitries use it as a routine twice a year wormer so it is safe- it also might help incase the stomach problem has anything to do with worms.

Also, I think just on the bases that you are doubting your vet that is a good enough reason to seek out another vet and get a different opinion.

Does your rabbits stomach make noises if you hold her up to your ear? Rabbits get gas and colic just like horses do and you can give them baby wind drops- simethicone- it is considered very safe for rabbits.

B. Simethicone http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

(liquid, pediatric suspension or tablets) is essential for the relief of gas pain which usually accompanies ileus. For relief of acute gas pain, 1-2 cc (20mg/ml suspension) can be given as often as every hour for three doses, then 1 cc every three to eight hours. This substance has no known drug interactions, is not absorbed through the intestinal lining and acts only on a mechanical principle: it changes the surface tension of the frothy gas bubbles in the gut, joining them into larger, easier-to-pass bubbles. Simethicone is practically inert, and is safe to give, even as a precaution, as long as it is not given long term. (Note: liquid suspensions of simethicone are relatively expensive. Less expensive versions, such as 125mg gel capsules are equally effective. A bunny can safely receive the contents of half a capsule at the rate described above.) A flatulent bunny is a happy bunny!

The vet said it isn't that due to his symptoms. Can i order him some from the internet and try that myself? As they have both said its not that but maybe best to try him on it just in case. I found out steroids can cause water retention so hoping that's the reason for his stomach bloat.

I don't think it makes noises no. But i could get them just in case. Its always good to stock up on these things for them anyways just in case.

Thank you :)

Yep, that is the one. The active ingredient is Fenbendazole and it is effective on E. cuniculi. If you google Fenbendazole and e. cuniculi it will say it is used for treatment.

Just reading through my old posts, sorry I didn't update you, unfortunately it wasn't spinal injury and another little bunny came down with same thing (looking like it was just genetic defect) both bunnies passed away a few weeks after developing symptoms in their sleep xx

Latest posts

Back