Bunnies suddenly dying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traci

Reaction score
Hi there.

We had a litter of 4 baby lionhead bunnies 2 months ago and one passed away so suddenly last week. Last night, a second one passed away. He was tilting to the side and was extremely weak and sick. It took him hours before he finally passed away. We are now dealing with the same thing with a third baby and we are not sure what's going on. Does anyone know what it could be and if theres anything we could do? We dont have money to take them to a vet and we are just wanting to know what exactly it is. Also, is it possible its contagious to humans as well? Thank you!

Hi sorry to hear about your babies. Were they or the adults vaccinated as it could be RHD2 its very contagious to other rabbits and normally symptomless.

Do they have any contact with cats, or does anyone in the household have a cold sore? Any chance they could have been exposed to or ingested something toxic?

Just so you realize, this next baby is likely to die if it doesn't get vet treatment(though it may still die even with the correct treatment too).

Hi sorry to hear about your babies. Were they or the adults vaccinated as it could be RHD2 its very contagious to other rabbits and normally symptomless.

RHD doesn't really occur in the US(yet). There have only been a few rare isolated cases in decades. Even then, the symptoms described wouldn't point to RHD as a cause of death

Last edited:
Do they have any contact with cats, or does anyone in the household have a cold sore? Any chance they could have been exposed to or ingested something toxic?

RHD doesn't really occur in the US(yet). There have only been a few rare isolated cases in decades. Even then, they symptoms described wouldn't point to RHD as a cause of death
Sorry I'm from the UK I didn't think to ask the Ops location.

No we haven't had any of that. We've only had sick kids with the flu and nothing toxic around them.

If its RHD2, what causes it? They haven't been around any other rabbits that were sick. So I dont know what could be causing them to be dying so suddenly.

It's not RHD2. If it were that your rabbits would either just be dead with little or no signs of being unwell, and/or be bleeding from nose, mouth, rectum.

Head tilt in multiple rabbits, is a sign of a contagious neurological illness. Cats can transfer toxoplasmosis(from feces), we can transfer herpes simplex virus(cold sore), then there are toxins. But you've ruled those out. It could possibly be the parasite e. cuniculi, but I would be less inclined to think that it's this because it would be a bit rare to have several rabbits come down with the same symptoms, or even have several rabbits contract it at the same time is not very common. But it is certainly a possibility. You haven't bathed these rabbits have you? Also double check everything in their environment for possible sources of a toxin. No exposure to raccoon or other animal feces?

I would really advise getting your remaining rabbits to a knowledgeable rabbit vet. But aside from that, with nothing else to point to as a definitive cause, I would probably want to go ahead and treat for e. cuniculi, with liquid fenbendazole, 20mg/kg, once a day for 28 days. It may help if EC is the cause, or won't if it's not. Supportive syringe feedings with Oxbow critical care(apple banana flavor) food mix and water will also be needed. Both are available online, fenbendazole as Safeguard goat dewormer(also available at farm stores).
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Encephalitozoonosis.htm

It's not RHD2. If it were that your rabbits would either just be dead with little or no signs of being unwell, and/or be bleeding from nose, mouth, rectum.

Head tilt in multiple rabbits, is a sign of a contagious neurological illness. Cats can transfer toxoplasmosis(from feces), we can transfer herpes simplex virus(cold sore), then there are toxins. But you've ruled those out. It could possibly be the parasite e. cuniculi, but I would be less inclined to think that it's this because it would be a bit rare to have several rabbits come down with the same symptoms, or even have several rabbits contract it at the same time is not very common. But it is certainly a possibility. You haven't bathed these rabbits have you? Also double check everything in their environment for possible sources of a toxin. No exposure to raccoon or other animal feces?

I would really advise getting your remaining rabbits to a knowledgeable rabbit vet. But aside from that, with nothing else to point to as a definitive cause, I would probably want to go ahead and treat for e. cuniculi, with liquid fenbendazole, 20mg/kg, once a day for 28 days. It may help if EC is the cause, or won't if it's not. Supportive syringe feedings with Oxbow critical care(apple banana flavor) food mix and water will also be needed. Both are available online, fenbendazole as Safeguard goat dewormer(also available at farm stores).
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Encephalitozoonosis.htm

So would any dewormer work for them? Would a petsmart or a pet store be able to help me find a dewormer to get it immediately?

Okay, so we took the last baby in with her mama. We had to put the baby down as he had no chance of living. The mama got tested and we'll know results by Sunday if she has e. cuniculi.

Does anyone know if a rabbit can have babies after being treated for e. cuniculi?

Yes I have had multiple rabbits have & raise litters after being treated for e. cuniculi but this does not sound like e. cuniculi to me (e cuniculi is not usually so sudden). To me sounds like he was just tilting to the side as he was to too weak to balance upright

Latest posts

Back