Bunnies playing or fighting??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mygrl2k3

Reaction score
I wouldnt say they are bonded and its something iwould like but i admit i havent had the time but i enjoy each one nomatter what. But lately when out together they been paying moreattention to each other. But i am not sure if its good ornot. I know when Luv tries to get in his cage he chases heraway. But the new thing is chasing each otherthrough the room and now Roger is jumping over her and sometimeslanding on each other. I dont want Luv to gethurt. any thoughts anyone??

Cristy

The jumping over her is often times a prelude toa fight. Be careful. It looks a lot likeplaying. I thought it was at first until Buck was there thefirst time I saw it. One may charge after the other too andit looks like a game of chase.

-Carolyn

Our mixed-breed doe, Mitzie, uses that as anoffensive technique. She jumps over her opponent, almostgazelle-like, and attempts to rake the back of the other bunny with hersharp nails. As a defensive measure, she uses the jumpingtechnique to avoid her opponents teeth and nails.

It is almost beautiful to watch because she is so gracefulthat it sometimes appears as if she is "floating" through the air, orthe leaping occurs in slow motion. Make no mistake about it,though, in our case it is most definitely an aggressive maneuver.

Buck

Thanks i will keep my eye them and if i have towill not let them out together. Luv seems cool with him, buthe isnt cool with her.. It would be nice if they could getalong and share a cage, hers issmaller. Is there anything ican do to help him accept her. Even if i dont home them together itwould be nice if they could bebuddies.One thing about Roger is he eatsolmost everything that is offered so maybe giving his treats with heraround would help?

Cristy

Cristy,

I'd suggest putting their cages side-by-side, or near each other, but not letting them out together for about a month.

This will give them a chance to get to know each other through the cages, the smells, the daily routines, etc.

-Carolyn

There cages are right in front of each other and been that way for a couple months now.

Cristy

Hi Cristy,

I wouldn't rely on treats as a distraction because eventually they'd have to learn how to deal with each other.

Buck has more tips on bonding bunnies than I do, so I'll leave it up to him.

There's a site that he often recommends that is referenced posted in the Cheatsheet for Rabbit Care post above.

Do keep us posted, Cristy.

-Carolyn

I read some of the suggestions. I am off fromwork till the 3rd of jan so maybe i can work on it and see if it willhelp them get along. Will keep everyone posted. Poor Luv dontknow why he rejects her. She is a very pretty girl :)

Cristy

Who knows why some men do what they do.

It wasn't love at first sight for Tucker and Fauna. She was smitten for him, but he didn't even glance her way.

Now she has him so wrapped, I'm embarrassed for him sometimes.

-Carolyn

I read to put the bunnies on the table... shhdont tell my husband. well anyways i did that with my sons help. Thatsreally a two person job to make sure they dont take flyin leaps offfrom it. Well anyways Luv kinda nips at his fur? Isthat being agressive or grooming him?? I didnt see either one doingbunny hurdles over each other.

Cristy

Here's a good site for bonding bunnies:http://www.mybunnies.com/bonding.htm

Yes, kitchen table "dates" are a two person/two bunny affair.Talk baby talk in a cooing manner to them while on the table.Offer them favorite treats, together. Do not permit anyaggressive moves on the part of either bun. Nipping uponLuv's part is aggressive and shows displeasure orannoyance.

Are you sure Roger is a male? If a female, it makes it harderto bond with Luv, but not impossibly so. May justtake more work. It takes usroughly about two weeksof work to bond rabbits, working up to an hour per day, dailyafter starting with very short intervals.

Once mutual grooming occurs, you pretty much have it made.Put them is same cage for a while, gradually increasing the time spentin the cage together until they can spend the night together.Once the night is spent together, without incident, is is usually adone deal

Good Luck

Buck

Buck,

I will check out the website.As far as i know he is a boy. the shelter had him fixes and they saidhe is a boy. I have never tried to check myself or have another personlook though. I think my biggest problem is lack of time whenit comes to needing two people. I spend most of my free time with justmy four year old son. I dont think i can get myhusband to help me. He isnt all that into them. Says he wouldlike them better fried. I can really work on itthis week while my oldest son is out of school and i am out of workcause of the holidays.

I will keep everyone posted on thier progress. I would love for them tolike each other and maybe share a cage. But if not i can livewith that since most likely it wont be the bunnies fault it will be mylack of time with another person who can help.

Cristy

Latest posts

Back