bunnies in water?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bad idea.

Rabbits are actually very competent swimmers, and in the wild will do so if needed (but as a last resort!!!!).

However- never ever bath your rabbit. The shock of being immersed in water, and the drastic change of temperature could be very dangerous to your bun.

I've seen horrific videos of people putting their bunny in the bath, and using the showerhead to just soak them...just for the fun. And the rabbit is hunched in the corner, shivering, eyes wide in terror, and not moving from the shock. I was horrified. And angry to see this.

If your bunny had a poopy butt, and you can't clip away the poopy fur, then a butt-bath may be needed. But this only involves perhaps 3 inches of water, and the bun on a towell, with only the bun's bottom and back legs in the water.

Jen

Or what about the videos of rabbits inswimming pools? :twitch:

Rabbits really don't like to be soaked through to the skin. (Though some rabbits seem to enjoy playing in the rain, they rarely get wet down to their skin.) It takes them a VERY long time to dry again, making them susceptible to hypothermia.

If your rabbit is hot, offer him a frozen water or soda bottle or a ceramic tile to lie down on. If it's dirty, using a combination of a wet cloth and a brush should remove the dirt well enough without submerging your rabbit.

Hope that helps!

Rue

That was equally horrifying.......

Honestly....

Did you see the one where the woman insisted that he 'loved' it?

I don't watch anything rabbit-related on youtube anymore unless I know it's not gonna be something cruel... :/

Jen

I've had to give a couple of bathes. I tend to try everything before it, but I've lost hopes a few times.

It's the problem with having white show rabbits. They somehow pee all over themselves. (I mean really. Yellow urine faces? XD) But if it's just urine stained feed, vinegar water usually works just fine.

However, I agree. Throwing a rabbit in the middle of a pool is cruel.

No but I did see that name along the side when I watched the other one.

One is enough for me.

I wanna email every one of those people and yell at them....:grumpy

I think that is border-line evil. You can see how terrified the rabbits are!!! If you can't see that your rabbit is terrfied...you shouldn't be owning one.

I'm actually quite grumpy now.

Jen

Yeah,Gus managed to get pee all over himself once. Dunno how he did it, but it was literally everywhere!:headsmack (He got a spot bath for that, though there were a fewspots that were still pink for a few days afterward... :p)

So, yes,there aretimes when a rabbit needs abath.Most rabbits, however, will rarely ifever need one. But if they do, it's vital that the rabbit be dried thoroughly afterward (hair dryer on low heat, I believe is the recommended way).

Jen: I totally hear ya. :hug1

Rue

:)

I tend to get grumpy when I'm sleep deprived. I've been awake for almost 21hours now. Eekk! Long day. And only got about 4 hours sleep the previous night.

But yeah- occasionally they do need a bunny bath.

Lol that reminded me of the time I decided I'd bath each of the dogs (they had all been out on a VERY messy, muddy walk :D- and they are yorkshire terriers, so are low to the ground so get very muddy, and have long hair ), and then I thought I'd blow-dry them, and comb their hair through and make them look all lovely and salon-groomed.
They were all fine with the hairdryer (on low heat and intensity of course) and came out as little pompom poofballs!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

But one of our dogs, Rolo, is so adorable, and gets scared of yoghurt pots, and if the curtains are closed in the living room (because they never are usually), and is terrified of the mop, and the hoover etc. so you can imagine what he was like with the hair dryer.
So he wasn't a pompom, lol, cos i had to hand-dry him!

Jen

The himi boy I've had to bathe looooved the hair dryer. o.o;

Speaking of that. He had pee all over him again today. Hopefully spot cleaning will help that... I hate how bathing ruins their coats for a few days after that. And with three shows in a row, two more to go... I cannot deal with that right now. XD

A little off topic, but Sabrina LOVES the hair dryer. Whenever I am drying my own hair she runs into the bathroom and stands so that she can feel the air blowing. At the end I always put it on low and cool and give her a little blow out herself. She stands there and puts her face right into the stream of air.

There are these things I got them from my local groomer. Dri baths.

If your bun gets muddy they really work I had to bath Jessi with one when she came. Jessi did get a real bath right before her spay because she decided to spray Storm and he sprayed her back.

It was a matter of half a inch of water in the kitchen sink. and a great blow dry and the heater in the house on for the next two days.

In the spring in Texas no less.

If I have to bath my rabbits i use 2 inches of water and then when I am done I snuggle them up in a towel and cuddle with them until they are dry. I loved the way Donkey's fur crimped after a bath which he sometimes needed to wash the white of his fur.

yes i saw those video on youtube, of the girl that said her rabbit loved it, thats why i was wondering !! i def. wont tho , i promise ! lol,

I had to give Charlotte a bath once. 3 inches, and Lukewarm. she got really hot and I thought she might have been suffering heatstroke. So I did what you do for people. Lukewarm bath. Charlie was not a happy camper, and I was soaked afterwords. I wrapped her up in a towel, and when I turned to let the water out of the bath, she's gone, wet fur and all, into the livingroom, drying herself on the carpet and giving me the stink eye -- which I get at least once a week when I stop petting her or move her off the couch.:anotherbun

Latest posts

Back