Bunnies in the Snow

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinksalamander

Reaction score
Well, i'm sure all of you in the UK know that itis snowing (either you ahve snow or heard it on the news). Well theheaviest snow fall is exactly where i am in the Southeast. Last nightmy mum was up when the snow started (she stays up till crazy hours) andshe brought will inside, kept in his little run in the kitchen. Wellnow we're exepcted to have around 12 inches of snow tomorrow (which isAMAZING) but we want to bring Will in again. His run takes up most ofour tiny kitchen so we were goin to move him into the larder where wedon't go as much. So i ahve 2 questions.

1) Is it OK for a bun who has been out all (mild) winter to come insideall of a sudden? Even if in the larder which is really cold?

and

2) If he does so happen to need to stay in the whole winter (as itsgetting colder) when should i put him back and how should i get himready to be put outside again? At what weather/temperature should i puthim back out for and should i put him in the hutch in the day while itsstill cold so he doesn't get too aclimatised.

I hope this makes sense.

1) Yes it is ok as long as it isn't a big tempchange, however I'd be careful if you are planning toput himback outside because the longer he is indoors the more of a shock itwill be to his system when he goes back outside.

2) If he stays inside for the rest of the winter I'd start putting himback outside in the spring once it starts to warm up. I'd start withshort bursts in the run where he can run about to keep warm, slowlyincreasing his time outside until you can fully move him back outside.

If you bring him in, he may have a "coat blow"or molt. He will ingest a lot of fur if that happens, so makesure he's eating lots of hay to avoid a blockage. You maywant to provide other additional high-fiber foods as well.

pinksalamander wrote:
I think i heard pumpkin and pineapple are good? Orwas that just my imagination?
I feed Pebbles, Papaya allthe time. 2 to 3 tablets a day,dried papaya as treats, andfresh papaya when wehave some. Somepeople might disagree, but Inever had problems with blockage.

Sorry I can't helpwith theoutdoorsquestion, asPebbles is an indoor bunny.
Maybe he would enjoy comingin and would never wantto go out again.

Rainbows! :D

I have a bank of 12 cages outside plusan additional 6 if needed then the large majority of my cages in aheated barn. Since the barn is heated I do not move the bunnies insideif they were outside or outside if they were inside. We've had tempsthis year go down in the -30's without windchill and all we do is fillup the outdoor cages with hay. I find it hard on the bunnies going toindoor shows that are heated after being outside for the winter. Theyseem to be way too warm and very uncomfortable always laying stretchedout.

With this being said I don't think leaving him outside if he has aproper cage will hurt him in any shape as he has been outside this faralready. A proper cage in the winter can be described as one with threesides of wood or another protective substance from wind and blowingsnow as well as a roof that will not let water or snow into the cage.As long as your little one has this just add hay when it goes into the-20's and he should be fine. You can also give him a box to cuddle inand/or a light to give some warmth. If you take him in he will have tostay in until winter is over and it starts to warm up again in spring.Hope this helps.

The reason i brought him in is because the temperature dropped so suddenly. It's been mild Octoberish weather all winter and now its dropped down to minus numbers.

I wish i could have him in permenantly! I think he'd love living indoors but our house is too small!

Ive always kept my bunnies out side and they are very happy healthy bunnies! the only time i moved my bunnies in were when i first got Daisy and Dandy and they were still quite young and in their first winter it was quite ocld so we had a huthc in our garrage for them. also when Daisy had an unexpected litter in about october tiem we broguht them into the greenhouse with a hutch!

now i always keep my bunnies out and even with the sudden drop in temp over the last week i have left them outside. they are happier out their and have places to shelter if they wish but they seem fine out in the cold.

I would leave will outside all winter but put blankets over his hutch, extra straw inside and give extra food to make sure to keep up body temp!

Lucky you getting him in the house! I would do anything to have mine in! We have the space, there's small room upstairs that serves no purpose whatsoever right now, it'd be perfect for the bunnies, but no, allIget from my dad is "rabbits don't belong in the house, blah blah blah":growl:If it was just my mum it be able to twist her arm, but not my dad... sorry:rant::blushan:

Although I usually manage to get them in on really cold nights, and Halloween, I just bring them up to my room and don't tell anyone until it's too dark to go out again!;)

I'm still waiting for the snow to come to NI, we haven't even had sleet yet:rollseyes

Its actually my mum who brought him in, i thought he'd be OK ish but im warming (haha.. osrry) to the idea of him being inside. I'm thinking i can convince her to let me keep him in this week etc because we have expected snow in Feb too and by then he will be too aclimatised and we will just have to wait till Spring before he can go back out!

Back