Bunnies found out of box?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stone_family3

Reaction score
So bunnies are 5 days old. Today I found one bunny out of the box and behind the freezer (mama could not reach it so I'm pretty sure she didn't put it back there). Went out to check on them tonight and two different bunnies were out of the nesting box. I'm using a cat carrier, it's big enough for babies and mommy to get in and turn around if need be. When found out of the box all the babies were warm, squigly and very active. When I put them back in they settled down nicely with their sibs and snuggled up for a nap.

Is this normal for five day old bunnies to find their way out of the box?

If the sides aren't high enough, the babies will usually wiggle their way out of where they're at. Sometimes they'll come out because they're latched onto momma, and if she doesn't have to hop over something to get out or hops much higher than whatever wall there is, the babies come, too. Once they're out, they will crawl ANYWHERE.

Would it be possible for you to get a different box for the babies? 4-6" walls is usually recommended. Shoe boxes CAN work, although a plastic container about that size would be better. Wood box would be better yet.

Thanks guys, I'm thinking she's just dragging them out. LOL. I check them several times a day and aside from yesterday I haven't found them outside the box.

Is it possible she kicked them out accidently digging or something? higher sides may be a good idea

It is possible that they are staying latched on when mom jumps out after feeding. Higher sides will help with that.

They probably are staying attatched, Like I said they're about 4 inches down inside the nest and the box is super small.

If I move the nest to a new box will that upset her?

I came home today after work and found two of them out of the box, she seems to have dug a new hole, put them in it and laid down next two it. She only moved when I put them back in the box.

Here is what I saw today.

IMAG0877 by StonesChickens, on Flickr

Latest posts

Back