Bunnies Fallen Out

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dm21

Reaction score
Hello,

I've recently created a thread in the 'infirmary section' as my rabbit Bonnie underwent a routine operation which went wrong - to cut a long story short she is on the mend and as long as she doesn't get an internal infection she should be okay.

My new problem now is that after her operation on Friday we seperated her from the other rabbit Biggles to get some rest but they could still see and sniff each other. Now she is feeling better we've let the two of them out in the room together but Biggles keeps attacking her. It's awful to see as they were best of friend before and we thought Biggles would comfort her like he used to. I've tried put them in the bath (somewhere they didn't know) and she tried to cuddle up to him and he didn't pay her a bit of attention :( When they get back into the room he goes for her and she is getting quite scared of him now!

Not only that but he has been quite vicious towards us as well. Is there anything I can do to make Biggles love her again. It's horrible to see because she is ill and he just wants to attack her.

D :(

after smoky had her operation, none of my bunnies want anything to do with her. so now she is seperate. maybe after your bunny has recovered he might want to be friends again?

Hi D,

I would wait at least another week or two before you put them together. Bonnie is still recovering. Once Bonnie is fully recovered you might have to start the bonding process again.

Neutral area, treats, car rides, etc. etc.

Hi there,

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone have any info or know of any websites that deal with trying to change a rabbit's behaviour, ie. get him to stop showing aggresion towards her.

Thanks

D

Bonnie should hopefully be feeling a good bit better by the weekend so I think I'd like to start the bonding process then (it gives us time to sit with them etc).

At the moment Biggies doesn't like Bonnie at all, they can see/sniff each other through the wire (well Biggles trys to nip and bite her!), should I try and completely seperate them before I start bonding again? Or will it be okay to start even though Biggles doesn't like her?

I so want my bunnies so be like they use to - I've got tonnes of photos were they are relaxing and licking each other and I want them to be able to do that again :( I think Bonnie will be very lonely if they don't.

Thanks
Debs

Hi Debs!

I know Bonnie isn't quite up to par, so this issue may not be on a front burner.

However, I was just thinking about something. Our Binkie just had surgery to remove an abcess in her dewlap. When we brought her home she smelled of antiseptics/operating room (and a bit strongly I may add). I noticed it immediately when I took her out of the carrying case and put her in her cage. I could still smell it the next day when I gave her meds to her. Binkie had to wear a hood/collar so she wasn't able to groom herself. 3 days down the road and I could still faintly smell it. As sensitive a bunnie's sense of smell is, it was probably overpowering to the rest of my bunnies and it probably lasted longer than I could notice myself.

Last week I had another episode that made me think of this, too. We have a bunnie named Chippy. Chippy is a happy, bouncey, affectionate bunnie. Loves nose rubs and attention. I used some Purell to clean my hands before feeding her.....and she bit me three times when I tried to get her food bowl out of her cage. I kept talking to her and I could tell that she was confused. I went and washed my hands with soap & water and everything was back to normal.....Good ol' Chippy nudging my hand for nose rubs when I'm trying to get her food bowl.

Maybe Biggles smellssomething unfamiliar about Bonnie anddoesn't recognize the strange smell as belonging to her. ***fingers crossed***

Just a thought......

~Jim

Hello,

Thanks for the advice. I reckon you could be right as Bonnie has been at the vets every single day for over a week so she must be smelling really strange to Biggles. She has been getting injected with loads of different things so that's bound to smell as well.

They've been split up for the last few days, she needs some rest but I think I'm going to try and put them together for a bit tomorrow but I know what his reaction is going to be. I was thinking it might be an idea to take Biggles to the vets on Monday (in a different box) with Bonnie and maybe get the vet to handle him as well as her. Then Biggles might realise that he smells like Bonnie too and there is nothing to be scared or get angry about. Do you think this might be an idea?

Jim D - how is Binkie doing?

Bonnie, Biggles and Debs

Latest posts

Back