Bunnies and cooler temperatures?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallice

Reaction score
Hi

I have a 7 month old Femish Giant rabbit, and I finally found him a harness he can't wriggle out of. I had wanted to bring him outside to run around in the fresh air, but the temperature has dropped here (I live in Ontario), and soon it will be winter weather. Can they tolerate cooler temps or even playing in snow without a little coat, or should I just wait until the spring to take him outside?

Thanks!:)

My rabbit lives in a hutch outdoors (in Colorado) and I've never seen him happier or healthier than in the winter.
He LOVES to play in the snow and dig about.

Just be careful if it's to cold. Better safe than sorry.
My Pippin has a heating pad and tarp for when it gets to chilly.

Thanks.

Hes and indoor bunny, so I was just worried about the sudden change in temperature in taking him outside, but if he could go out in somewhat cooler temps (its about 10 C outside lately) then thats fine, and if he can go out in the snow, that would be awesome. What is the lower end of temps to take them out if they are used to the indoor life?

I know of a handful of house rabbit owners that take their bunnies out for playtime in the snow. I think it would absolutely be ok; just like letting a dog or cat out in the snow. His body probably can't handle living out there since he's used to being inside, but going out for 15 minutes will probably be refreshing :)

I think they can withstand temperature changes of up to 40 degrees Fareinheit...but I'm not sure I'd push it that far...unless you start now taking him out for 5 minutes a day or so..?

Back