Bunnies and birds!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LessThanAnNa

Reaction score
Bunnies and birds.. it seems that alot of people who have bunnies also have birds, and vice-versa. I've noticed that my bunny loves to go after the messy bird's left overs on the floor.. the fruity pellets everywhere. Whenever he's out he loves to sniff them out and gobble them up. I figure that it's probably nutrious enough for him, and not anything to worry about, but I though I would ask, and see if anyone elses bunny likes to clean up after the birds of the house? :)
smeagolbunny.jpg

my bunny completely ignores the bird and anything to do with it..and the birds scared to death of the bunny..but peapoo loves the dog

Hi.. I have an African grey parrot and I know what you mean about the bunnies liking to get to the left-overs on the floor (so does my dog). Unfortuntately the seeds,nuts and other misc. in the birds diet is NOT good for bunnies at all. I know that its a lot of work to keep sweeping up what the bird drops but its best for your bunny.

I've read that most seeds and nuts aren't the best for bunnies, but I'm curious about the pelleted bird diet. My birds mainly get Zupreem pellets, sometimes the rainbow fruit blend, sometimes the spicy harvest, sometimes natural. Our rabbit really seems to go after the fruity pellet crumbs, that tend to be on the floor, because when the birds crunch down on them they split and go flying (I often get hit in this process, it's quite rude! haha). I do vaccum a couple times a day, but I figured that the pelleted bird diet may actually be good for rabbits aswell (as a treat). :) Oh and thankyou for the responses!

You know sometimes I use Zupreem but most of the time I mix it with seeds,peanuts etc. I really doubt that if you only use pelleted that it would be any different than a treat for the bunny but to be honest I really don't know. I just know that the seeds and nuts are bad. Maybe someone else knows and can let us know.

I don't know the answer to your question either but just want to say, I love your bunny and your bird. :D They're both so cute and so pretty. I had to giggle at the pic of the bird looking at himself in the metal...trash can(?). Brings back memories. I miss having a bird. :)

I couldn't say for sure, but I would agree and say that it is probably like a treat for a bunny. In which case, it is most likely fattening, and best not to let him eat much.

My bunnies are fascinated by my birds, though I think they wish that they didn't make so much noise sometimes :D

Jan

Thanks for everyones input. This morning a big bright lighbulb appeared over my head, as I decided the way to go was to simply compare the nutritional information of the rabbit pellets and bird pellets. Here it is:

Rabbit Ingredients:

Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Soybean Hulls, Wheat Shorts, Barley, Soybeans, Soya Oil (perserved with Rosemary Extract, Vitamin E and Citric Acid), Brewers Yest, Lignin Sulfonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Calciu, Carbonate, magnesium Oxide, Ascorbic Acid (A source of Vitamin C), Rice Hulls, DL Methionine, Mannan OligoSaccharide, Choline Chloride, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Iron Sulphate, Manganese Oxide, Vitamin E, Zinc Oxide, Niacin, Copper Sulphate, Mineral Oil, Vitamin A, Folic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Selenium, Riboflavin, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D3, Vitamn K, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Iodate, Thimamine Mononitrate, Cobal Sulphate

Bird Pellet Ingredients:

[align=left]Ground corn, Soybean meal, Ground wheat,Vegetable oil, Wheat germ meal, Sucrose, Dicalcium phosphate, Calcium carbonate, Ground fruit (bananas, oranges, apples and grapes), Iodized salt, DL-methionine, Choline chloride, Ascorbic acid (source of Vitamin C), Natural mixed tocopherols, Rosemary extract, Citric acid, Natural and artificial colors, Artificial flavors, Manganous oxide, Zinc oxide, Copper sulfate, Calcium iodate, Sodium selenite,Vitamin A supplement,Vitamin D3 supplement, Vitamin E supplement,Vitamin K supplement, Niacin, Calcium pantothenate, Pyridoxine hydrochloride,Thiamine, Riboflavin,Folic acid, Biotin,Vitamin B12 supplement.[/align]
[align=left]Guaranteed Analysis...........Rabbit..................................Parrot[/align]
[align=left]Crude Protein (Min)16.0%14.05%[/align]
[align=left]Crude Fat (Min) 3.5%4.0%[/align]
[align=left]Crude Fibre(Max)18% 2.5%[/align]
[align=left]Moisture(Max) 10% 10%[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]So I'm pretty sure it's definately a rabbit safe treat by now. Obviously, I'm not going to givehim large amounts of my bird's diet (they'd never forgive me if I did), but I think it's safe to say that I'm not going to worry when he goes on his scavanger hunts to find fruity pellets on the ground. [/align]
[align=left]:sweep:bunnydance:[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left][/align]

I don't believe that I see corn listed for ingredients in rabbit food, and that is the number one ingredient in the bird seed. I truly do not have the time to hunt for this, but I'm thinking that there was some discussion not too long ago about feeding corn to rabbits. You don't do it. I would encourage you to sweep up the bird seed, look for that thread, and see what someone else says who knows for sure.

Back