Bunch of questions!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1. I am looking for a good comb for my angora. I have a greyhound comb but its really not getting down into the fur that needs to be combed. Slicker brushes don't do anything but comb over the knots. Is there a good show comb or something I can use and where do I get it?

2. I know its not good to bathe bunnies. Would it be ok if I at least bathed his feet? They are nasty, pee soaked , smelly and I don't want him to get sores and urine burn from this. I already shaved them but they need to be cleaned. The "wipes" aren't cutting it. He is calm enough to let me do it. I had to use a surgical scissor to get the small matts on his feet out and he sat there for a good 10 minutes on his back letting me. Only kicking and turning over every 3 -5 minutes. I don't think it will stress him out too bad.

3. The person who I got him from claimed he was male and neutered. I am STILL waiting to get the proof. I am just wondering how I know he is really a male? I don't see any goodies hanging down but that could be cause he is neutered no? Is there a gap between the anus and the cone I can go by at least? I'd like ot make sure he is a male and I would like to make sure he is neutered before I get him any kind of buddy or girlfriend.
Also if I don't get the proof how do I know he is really neutered?

4. When it comes to diet.. He is getting a bunch of dandelionand or romaine greens and hay. Sometimes other veggies or piece of fruit as a treat. Does he really need to be on pellets? And should I offer timothy, alfalfa or both?
Thanks a bunch!

I can't help with 1. For 2, it would probably be ok to put a little pit of water in the tub to let him run around in and get his feet cleaner. I know some people also use cornstartch to get urine stains out... hoping someone who has used this will chime in, as i have no experience with that. 3, you would know if there were boy bits and he were unneutered. They can tuck them up sometimes, but i'm pretty sure you'd be able to see. you can try to sex the bunny but if it's female only a vet (or someone with experience) can feel the tummy to see if there's a uterus there. for 4, it depends on how old he is. i think with longer-haired breeds it's good to feed some extra protein (all that hair is made of protein), so alfalfa hay or pellets might be ok. you definitely need to keep him constantly on hay, and a variety is always best. alfalfa is generally only reccomended for young (<6mo) buns, but maybe with a long-haired breed it could be needed. some people don't feed any pellets, but to do that you need to have a good variety of hays to feed him so he gets all his nutrients. i personally only feed 1/8c per adult 4-5# bunny per day.

1. If you're really having problems with knots you need something that has more teeth so you could either: a) use a human hair brush (you know, the kind with the beads on the end and the sort of air cushion) or b) go to a farm supply store where you should be able to find a mane and tail brush for horses- these brushes are made to be more gentle and stronger than the ones you get for dogs.

2. I've bathed rabbits before without any problems. I just put about an inch in the bathtub, something down on the bottom so they don't slip around and hurt themselves, and even some VERY mild soap or oatmeal shampoo.

3. We have a couple neutered males that show at our 4-H fair every year and since I do the checks I always remember these boys. I've got to say- they look very strange. You would thing it would look the same just minus the testicles but not true- if it doesn't look like a doe go ahead and say buck.

4. I'd keep feeding atleast some pellets- they have the widest variety of nutrients.

The grey hound comb as more teeth. They are long and have a gap between them but small enough to get work done. Its why I bought it. I will definitely go and look for a horse comb. Thanks!

What do you mean if it doesn't look like a doe? I am not sure what a doe would look like except for no testicles.. Maybe I can find some pics online.
Its just a big cone looking thing for genitalia..

1. I'm not sure, I've never had a long haired bunny. There are some members on the forum who have owned angoras and some that have had to deal with extensive matting like yours. Hopefully they will be along soon to give you some advice.

2. Is the fur on his feet still wet? If it's still wet, you can try doing a dry bath using cornstarch. Rub the cornstarch into the fur, and then brush it out. It will absorb the urine and keep bunny dry.

3. Check out how to sex rabbits in out library:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12064&forum_id=17
Basically, a neutered male will look just like a normal male, but with out the testicles.

4. I would provide him with a small portion of pellets. They are like the daily vitamin for bunnies. You can provide a no pellet diet, but you have to put a lot of planning into the variety of veggies you give the bunny to ensure he's getting all the nutrients he needs to stay healthy.
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12046&forum_id=17

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back