Bun teeth--when to file?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanamuffins

Reaction score
There's so much information out there, I never know what to believe!

Last year when I took all three of my buns to the vet for spay and neuters, the vet filed 2 of their teeth (both of which had been mistreated and poorly fed for several years before I got them) and said the 3rd would need to come back soon. She basically gave me the impression that rabbits need their teeth done every year. Under the impression that I would need to shell out hundreds of dollars soon to do that, I did some internet research and it seems like only certain rabbits need their teeth done frequently. I took a look in their mouths and everything looks aligned and healthy.

Was my vet correct or is she just looking for business? What's the deal?!

Oh my. You might want to find a more rabbit-savvy vet! Provided with adequate chew toys, bunnies with normal teeth shouldn't need to get them trimmed.

They should only need to have something done to their teeth if they have a malocclusion or molar spurs. Your vet should check their teeth on every physical exam (most use an otoscope to get a look at the back teeth) and you should definitely get their teeth checked if their eating habits change as that is often a first sign that their mouths hurt.
When they're anesthetized for a spay would definitely be a good time to check their teeth out and it's possible that she saw something, but without more details I can't say. Most buns who need their teeth done need it more frequently than every year.

Oh my. You might want to find a more rabbit-savvy vet! Provided with adequate chew toys, bunnies with normal teeth shouldn't need to get them trimmed.

Ah yes, I was afraid of that anyway. She had originally told me a particular diet that was sugary and expensive. Frustrating!

Ah yes, I was afraid of that anyway. She had originally told me a particular diet that was sugary and expensive. Frustrating!

I'm glad you were able to spot this. Many people listen to vets without question without realizing that not all of them know about rabbits! I'm surprised though that she would be be that ill-informed.

Most rabbits don't need their teeth filed or clipped. If they do, it is usually on a regular basis as the teeth are always growing. How often can depend on the rabbit, but it can be every 3-8 weeks. Front teeth can be done easily, but back teeth are a bit more tricky. Some vets can just use the dental scope and a little file, but others want to put the rabbit under to do it.

I would suggest going to a different vet for another opinion. There are vets that seem to find molar spurs on every rabbit and want to do dental work, but if you take the rabbit somewhere else, they are great teeth.

Usually if the rabbit is eating well, they are ok. If they can't eat, are drooling a lot, or just seem off, then you want to get them in for a check up. Teeth problems are common, but not all rabbits will have issues. Even if a rabbit does have a molar spur, it might not be bad enough to affect them and some can break off on their own.

I would add that just because you can't see any malocclusion doesn't mean there isn't one, or molar spurs on the back. It sounds like you've got your situation figured out but I figured it would be worth emphasizing for anyone else who stumbles across the thread. I've had to take Aria in once or twice to get her teeth checked, though thankfully no problems yet.

Latest posts

Back