bun pulling out hair after spay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xlHeartlx

Reaction score
Hello all! My sweet nesquik got spayed on the 9th of march, two days after her spay I noticed that she was "licking" the surgery area. She was actually pulling her fur out, I mentioned this to the vet and they suggested that I put a baby onesie on her so she cannot reach the area and pull her fur out. With the baby onesie on, her chest is exposed and she just recently began pulling fur from her chest area as well. I have been making sure to check her wound daily and noticed that an area that was not shaved, is red and almost irritated looking and has patches of fur missing. Is there anything I can do to stop her from doing this? I will be able to talk to the vet on Monday, as he is only there mon-weds but it is worrying me that she is pulling her fur out of stress, but I am also afraid of removing the onesie and her having access to her stitches. Any tips?

It could have to do with discomfort from the surgery still. Or possibly sometimes after getting fixed the hormones can seem to spike, prompting increased hormonal behaviors before they finally fade. So she could be experiencing false pregnancy type behaviors because of this possible hormone spike, and this is why she's trying to pluck her fur. Another possibility is if she is focusing on a particular area, like the area you mention with fur missing and the red irritated skin, that she's focusing on this area because it's bothering her for some reason, maybe hurts, and this is possibly due to an issue with the surgery.

Those are the only possibilities that are coming to mind. I would keep a really close eye making sure she continues eating well, and if things worsen, she stops eating before your appt, and/or you have any concerns, I would either phone your vet or find an emergency vet that deals with rabbits and get her seen right away.

Latest posts

Back