Bun-n-Cat -- is this love or...not?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJOliveMom

Reaction score
I have a spry 16yo cat and a 2yo bun who's lived with us about a year and a half. They've always got along fine. We recently moved into a new place, and Bun basically has her own room. When Cat enters the room, or just when Bun senses Cat is nearby, Bun races out to meet her, stretches out her body toward her, sniffs her bum, tunnels under her. Cat tolerates it a bit then runs away.

My question is: Does Bun looooove Cat? Or is she protecting her new turf?

I'll post a video if I can catch it in action. They're both females.

I have a spry 16yo cat and a 2yo bun who's lived with us about a year and a half. They've always got along fine. We recently moved into a new place, and Bun basically has her own room. When Cat enters the room, or just when Bun senses Cat is nearby, Bun races out to meet her, stretches out her body toward her, sniffs her bum, tunnels under her. Cat tolerates it a bit then runs away.

My question is: Does Bun looooove Cat? Or is she protecting her new turf?

I'll post a video if I can catch it in action. They're both females.

Caught a few seconds. The lunge thing she does about 2 seconds in is usually a lot more exaggerated and forward.

Attachments

• 1000002457.mp4
    31.3 MB
I hope the others can help you with your questions. I'm impressed that the dog is just over there resting as the rabbit chases the cat.

I hope the others can help you with your questions. I'm impressed that the dog is just over there resting as the rabbit chases the cat.
Haha, yeah, Beagle is chill. She and Bun are besties. Plus we had just finished a long hike, so she was beat. l just think it's hilarious that cat seems so freaked out by teeny - weeny bunny.

I'd say protecting her new turf or reasserting dominance. Her initially running up was to check the cat out, but the lunge after that was either to just show the cat who's boss or to make the cat move away from buns territory.

Anytime a rabbits area/space is changed, it can cause a temporary increase of territorial behavior. Rabbits also operate in a hierarchy. They don't have casual relationships with other rabbits, or with other animals or people. To have another creature share their space peacefully, they have to form a lasting bond, that includes the hierarchy of who's in charge of who. But they can also learn to tolerate the presence of another bun/animal they don't get along with, in a nearby area without forming a bond, as long as it's not in the space the bun considers their territory.

It sounds like your bun has a bond with your dog already, but maybe not with your cat. Or if they used to get along, the move has affected it and your bun is likely just reasserting her dominant position in the group, just to remind your cat. If it's this, the dominance behavior should settle back down soon.

I'd say protecting her new turf or reasserting dominance. Her initially running up was to check the cat out, but the lunge after that was either to just show the cat who's boss or to make the cat move away from buns territory.

Anytime a rabbits area/space is changed, it can cause a temporary increase of territorial behavior. Rabbits also operate in a hierarchy. They don't have casual relationships with other rabbits, or with other animals or people. To have another creature share their space peacefully, they have to form a lasting bond, that includes the hierarchy of who's in charge of who. But they can also learn to tolerate the presence of another bun/animal they don't get along with, in a nearby area without forming a bond, as long as it's not in the space the bun considers their territory.

It sounds like your bun has a bond with your dog already, but maybe not with your cat. Or if they used to get along, the move has affected it and your bun is likely just reasserting her dominant position in the group, just to remind your cat. If it's this, the dominance behavior should settle back down soon.
Makes sense. The body language is definitely "I am rabbit, hear me roar and get off my lawn," but otherwise she's very gentle, sweet, and playful in her interactions. Hopefully she'll feel re-established soon and they can go back to peacefully sharing water dishes and cat towers. Thanks!

This very helpful information. Thanks

Back