Bun is drinking more than before

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emily0862

Reaction score
Chambersburg and Berlin, Pennsylvania, USA
When my bunny is home she gets pellets everyday and fresh grass and some hay that i feed my horse. I was reading that pellets weren't really good for them to be on unless they need the extra energy so I weaned her off of them when i got to school and went to hay and orchard grass completely. Since i've done this she started drinking at least a bottle of water a day and peeing so much her litter needs changed like every other day to keep it from being sopping wet. Do you think the water consumption is from the amount of hay and grass she is getting and its nothing to be concerned about? I heard it can be a sign of kidney problems and wondered what else to look for to determine what it is? Any ideas??

if ur not feeding pellets ur feeding veggies right??.she needs minerals that are in either pellets or a wide variety of veggies...please dont tell me ur only feeding her hay..
they always drink more water when they eat more hay.

i just noticed u posted about her when u first got her that she didnt drink enough water..now shes drinking alot..maybe u should have her looked at the vet.,..:)

Well, pellets aren't altogether a bad thing. It's kind of a cover-all-bases food supplement if you want to think of it that way. Excess in pellets can make a bunny fat, but weaning them off completely can put them in danger of missing essential minerals and vitamins -- if they are not getting them via fresh vegetables.

And Lisa is right, if your bun is now eating only hay, she's going to naturally drink a lot more water to move all that fiber through her system.

she is getting veggies too. see when i got her she was very fat, and it was because all she got was pellets. as i read up on the pellets i found a lot of bad things about them. so basically she can have pellets, just not an abundance of them? And about the not drinking enough, that might have been when i FIRST got her and she was adjusting. Because she drank water fine after she settled in.

Latest posts

Back