bun had a stillborn litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domino

Reaction score
[align=left]Hi I am new to the forum and I will give you what background I can on Domino.
She is a black and white mini rex and I rescued her from the puond I work at before she could be put down;). I brought her home on Friday Dec. 7 for my Fiance and she was very sweet, kissing our hands and coming to say hi at her fence (she still does this thank God, she was his Christmas present), and then on the following Monday she had a litter of 2, they were both stillborn and she had eaten one almost to the point of it being nothing but a head. :shock: The babies were completely formed and she had cleaned them off but there was no life there and since she was eating them I knew they werent alive amd immediateley removed the poor things.:(
I checked on her every hour after I saw this for the rest of Monday and there were no others. I didnt think this was unusual as the single intact babie was very large, I would say between the two they probably were crammed in there so tight they suffocated eachother.
Today she still had a red tinge to her urine and I saw one spot where she had peed and there was a small congealed blood clot in the center. She is still spotting but not as badly as the day after is this normal? I am not new to buns but to the reproductive part of it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I will post a pic of the not bald Domino as soon as I can as she has no hair on her chest and tummy now. :?
Poor thing she is eating and drinking well and is acting like she is looking for the babies. I feel like I could have helped if I was aware of her being ready to pop when I got her but from what I have read they have usually at least one stillborn.
Thanks again for helping a newb and her lovely naked bun out.
Randi and Domino:biggrin2:
[/align]

I'll let the ones who have bred or are current breeders handle this. I know there are a few issues that can happen....

Welcome to RO.... sorry it's on such a sad note :(

I want to thank you for the welcome.
Yes it is sad I nearly got sick when I saw her doing that thoug, but I am more worried about her there are few vets in the area that handle rabbits and wanted to make sure this was normal before driving out of the area to find one.

If anyone knows of a good vet in the Fort Myers or Bonita area for rabbits let me know I am using Dr. Amy's Animal Hospital for my dog and cats and havent had a chance to call them about her as I work all week and I cant trust my man to do that he is not good at that stuff.

It is not abnormal for a doe to eat the dead kits. Infact, a doe will eat live ones if she thinks a predator is going to eat them.

How do her little privates look? have you checked? have you felt her sides and made sure she's not got one left in there?

Ok, how many days did you say it has been since she had them? If it has only been a couple of days, and she is only spotting a little, I wouldn't worry. From what you said, it sounds like she had fetal giants. Probably the father was much bigger than she is. That would quitelikely have caused her to tear a little, hence the bleeding. Now, if she is/starts to bleed heavily, or her genitals look swollen, then she would need to go to the vet.

Well she is normal (her privates) and all but otherwise ok, and her sides have dropped down to the point of being almost skinny now, there are no lumps in her like she has any babies left. But her poor teats are so swollen with milk.
I knew they ate the kits when they were worried about predators or they were dead but ewww. (I used to keep mice, I know they are not directly related to rabbits but rodents tend to do similar things in that area)
She is extremely active and all of the nesting habits have stopped, she lays in the nest but that is it no more pulling of the hair or trying to rip my pants apart. And there is almost no digging.

And it has been a total of 2 days.

So I would guess it is a watch and wait game now.
BTW that is a pic of Dom when she came home I was wondering why she was so fat and liked to lay in the sun on the porch.
:?

Hi, I moved this to the Rabbitry, I think our very wise and experienced breeder contingent can help you out.

She sounds fine to me, but I've never had kits, so whaddoiknow.

However, assuming you're planning on having her spayed, anyway, I would think sooner than later might be a good plan? That way if there is something amiss, it can be dealt with. I'll be asking the Infirmary and Breeder Mods to weigh in on this.

And welcome to RO! Congrats on the rescue, especially a mini-rex. Not sure about your girl, but my little mini-rexguy doesn't do well confined toa cage at all, and he needs a lot of interaction. It's one breed in particular I love seeing taken out of that shelter/pound environment.My guy came out of asmall, coldrusty wire shed cage with no light, heat, hay, foot rest, blanket, toys or anything else.:( And he has been SO appreciative. :)

:thanks:

sas

She's got a large pen and is played with lots.
Thanx though, we have another to that made it to adoptions keep your hopes up for him/her, I should sex him shouldnt I?
LOL
I love the character though they are loving rabbits.

I would also advise going ahead and getting her spayed asap. Any problems that birthing caused should be solved by removing her reproductive organs. It should be safe to do, and I would speak with your vet about it.

Even if you don't feel comfortable getting her spayed right now, I would still get her into a vet for an examination. A vet should be able to tell if there is anything still stuck in her causing problems.

--Dawn

Yeah I am going to ask my vet about it. I am not sure she handes rabbits though....
Anyone got any ideas on good bun vets in Fort Myers?:ponder:
I wil keep you updated.
As of now I am not to worried she is eating good and very active, always looking for love and petts and kissing our hands like its going out of style. I think she knew what was going to happen to her and loves us for it.
I just keep seeing her looking for the babies and it makes me sad.
anyone in the Lee county area should check out leelostpets.com they have 3 buns at the shelter I work for and one is for sure a mini-rex and he is going to adoptions. Beautiful bun white with caramel spots on him.
Thanks for the help I am glad I found a forum that is full of nice caring bun lovers!
:biggrin2:

Thanks no Fort Myers peeps on there I will have to look around and speak with the one I use for My dogs and Cats and let you know. I should find out is she handles birds to....
Yeah I have a zoo and love it, 2 cats Turk and Chewy, a yellow lab named Lilly, a Quaker Parrot named Marty McFly and the buns as well as a fish tank.
Just never had a bun have babies before so I was stumped and this site came up about a thousand times so I figured yall knew what you were talking about.
Thanks again

If you can't find any nearby vets on our lists, try calling Florida rabbit rescues. They might know other bunny people in your area and which vets they use. Sometimes exotic vets are good with bunnies, but not always. It's worth asking. And here's an HRS article on finding a rabbit savvy vet:
http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/vet.html

Welcome to the forum!

Yeah I am going to. I also just went to the site for Dr. Amy my dog and cat vet and they handle buns. I am going to have to try and see if I cant take her in for a general exam next week sometime next week as long as she still seems ok, sooner if not. I may just have Andrew take her in as they have the dog under his name anyways.
Do you have any general tips on how to tell if they are a good vet or not? They did wonders for my dog but I know they are two VERY different species.
Just general things on what they SHOULDNT do would be great.
Thanks again you guys are great.
Randi & Domino

I'm sorry I missed this thread! And I'm so sorry to hear her litter was stillborn. :(

Since she came to you already bred and you have no idea of what conditions she's been subjected to or any idea about the buck (breed, size, genetics, etc.), it could be lots of things that went wrong. None of which was your fault.

It's wonderful that you've adopted her and are giving her a chance to be loved.

I agree with Gentle Giants... a little spotting a day or two isn't unusual, and it sounds like her babies were either too big or had gentic issues. (I usually only see the does try to eat the babies when they are born dead and feel that they have to "clean up". It's part of the survival instinct. A dead baby can attract preditors. I'm sorry you saw this on your first litter.) If she is that skinny now, she may not have had proper nutrition during her pregnancy. That would also affect the poor outcome.

If she is still spotting after tomorrow, I'd have her checked. And from what I've been told, they may not spay her until her milk dries up (in about a week).

Congratulations on your new bun and welcome to the forum! This is a great place for bunny lovers to share! :)

Edited to add: We have Mini Rex too and I think they are the best little bunnies!

I love my mini-rex...... even when he gets ticked off and bites me. :? It's usually my fault..... :p

How is Domino this morning? Is she still eating and drinking normal? Any more spotting?

Latest posts

Back