Bun got fixed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NetherlandDwarf

Reaction score
I found a vet near my home who does spay and neuturings for rabbits, so a week ago i made the appt. My bun was neutured yesterday, but I have a couple of thoughts and question: When we dropped him off, I was under the impression we would see a vet first, but all that was there was a vet tech taking all the animals being dropped of for spay/neuturings. For the people dropping their animals seem to have no problems with this, but I dont know if they have seen the vet beforeat this clinic. This was my first time here, with my first bun, I tried asking a few questions to the vet tech, such things like; do you get a lot of buns for spays & neutuers? simple common questions... She didnt seem too interested, but she did answer my questions with the shortest simple answers, she really looked like the woke up on the wrong side of the bed, and she was like this with all the people. I left my bun, thinking I'll probably see a vet when I pick him up... The time comes to pick himup, my husband drives me down there, a lot of people are there picking up their pets and i wait my turn. When it came my turn first thing i ask is am i going to see a vet? The answer was no, but the lady who helped me was there during my bun's surgery and she really was able to answer all my question and about how he reacted. I was comfortable with that, but is that normal just droping off a bun to get fixed without ever seeing a vet? A few years ago I got my dog spayed at a new vet and they examine her with me there before i left...

all and all he made it through just fine. they sent him home with 3 days worth of pain meds. and bun was so happy to see us, i didnt expect that. i thought he would be so knocked out, but on the drive home, whenever the car would stop at a red light he would come up to the door and sniff us, and when the car was in motion he was eating his hay. i put some of his fav food in his cage for when he was hungry, we as soon as he was in his cage he was eating it all... he's such a piglet! when foods around nothing stops him!

I do need some advice on giving his pain meds, how am i going to be able to get it in his mouth? lol i dont want to hurt him or put him in more pain.

thanks

From my one experience with neutering a rabbit, they tend to get over it pretty easy. A spay is a little more painful, but neuters are normally pretty easy to get over. They don't really have to cut them open and move stuff around, you know?

I understand the concern with your vet office. They did that to me when I had Toby neutered, as well. Back then, I didn't know any better, so I just shrugged it off and paid for the surgery. When our old foster-bun was spayed, we had to go in beforehand, talk with the vet, then they took her. She stayed there overnight, and we picked her up again in the morning. The vet talked to us before we even got her back, too. Some clinics are a lot nicer than others...

As far as the medicine goes, what kind is it? I would assume liquid. My boy never was given pain medications for his neuter. The foster bun was given a few pre-filled syringes of pain medicine for the following days. We would place a towel over her, gently push the sides of the towel under her, then pick her up and set her on our laps gently (tummy-up). Then we would put the syringe in her mouth and she would take it. We tried just giving it to her while she was sitting regular, but she would fight it, so we had to flip her over.

it is liquid that i squirt in their mouth.

I must say it was a lot easier giving him the meds than i would have thought.. i put it up to his mouth where he sniffed, licked, and wouldn't stop chinning it! i had to take it away, and reintroduce it to him, and when he went to lick it i stuck it in his mouth and squirt in it went. i gave him a little grape for his troubles.

Well Spay is female birth control they safely remove a female rabbit's ovalries and uterus.

neutering is the male rabbit birth control no testcles they safely remove the male rabbit balls NO RUBBER BANDS no urges

nither sex gets horny:bunnydance:

As far as my experience goes with all animals (cats, dogs, rabbits) for surgeries, on the day of the surgery you do just drop the animal off with a vet nurse/kennel hand who will kennel the animal and make them comfortable until the surgery comes around. For desexing, because it's so routine, you'll never likely see a vet unless there's some kind of unexpected complication. If it was a more risky or costly procedure, the vet would probably discuss it with you in person but not on the drop off day, more likely during the consults in which the surgery was agreed upon.

I worked in a vet in the Northern Territory, and that's how things were done there. The vet would only meet with the 'parents' afterwards if they needed to give them prescription medication or discuss anything more in depth, possibly another treatment, or discuss how a more involved surgery had gone. If it was just simple aftercare instructions one of the vet nurses would deliver the animal out.

Latest posts

Back