Bun-Bun and Cocoa Confronts Wild Cotton Tail Doe

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bun~Bun

Reaction score
Wile my Buns were running around in the garden,Bun-Bun all of a sudden stood up on both hind legs, ears erect, andfully opened dialated eyes. He sniffed vigorously. When he got back onall 4s, he started to thump his foot(A natuarl warning or attentionsighn.). Cocoa turned his head at him, but decided to just chill underthe Cotton stalks. I looked in Bun-Bun's direction where hewas looking - Coniglio's mum appeared!! She was right up near thefence, curiously sniffing around. I backed away, I whanted to view thebehavior between them. Cocoa and Bun-Bun stuck their noses through thefences. The Cotton Tail moved in closer - but soon binkied and shedashed off back into the bramble.
Interresting, huh?
I'll try to take pictures next time I see them together.

Tell me, though, do wild Eastern Cotton Tail does produce a scent that can draw domestic rabbits?
I hear that they can't interbreed whith domesticated rabbits - then again, I hear that they can.

That's cool. You know we would lovepics of that. I'm guessing that yes, they probably do put offsome scent, just as domestics do to each other, just a very differentscent though.

Couldn't find her today. I think she's scaredcause the man was cutting his grass today, and lawn mowers are freakenloud. I might see her later. Not to mention, it's a real bright sunnyday and over 80 degrees here. Even Bun-Bun and Cocoa are tired out -and both have more white on them than other colours.

Cottontailscan breed with domesticbunnies, they just cant produce offspring. They have a different numberof chromosomes than domestics (who descend from European wild bunnies)so a fertilized egg cant survive.

Its best to keep your buns away from her, however. Do you have a run orfenced in area for them? She could be carrying any number of parasites,mites, disease etc., so its best to not let them come in contact withone another.

Last year I took about 3 weeks vacation to govisit my mom in Northern maine. While I was up there I was missing myrabbits so much...

We were at my Uncle's house and there was a cottontail sitting not 10feet from the window. My Uncle said, "if you can catch it ... you cankeep it and you won't feel so lonely..".

I was desperate enough for my rabbits - I have to admit the thought was tempting. To be able to pet a bunny again...oh..so nice.

But I didn't try to catch it.

Peg

Latest posts

Back