Building NIC Cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessicalovesjesse

Reaction score
Okay so I'm moving Pippin inside (yay!) after a really bad incident with the cold in Colorado...
Anyways, the cage will be 2x4 grids on the bottom and it will be 2 levels. I could use a little advice on the best way to add a second level.

A few questions.

1. The place I got my coroplast from heard me wrong and cut the dimensions wrong. I want room to make a tray not just a flat piece, does anyone know a way to add twelve more inches onto my main piece using my scarps?

2. I mentioned the size earlier, is that big enough for a mini rex?

3. Roughly how man zip ties will I need? I feel like I might not have enough...

So glad Pippin is going to move inside! :)

I'd say a 2X4 NIC cage would be plenty big for a mini rex! (That's what Gus has and he's amedium-large sizedbunny! ;) )

How to build the secondlevel really depends on how big you want to make it. Ifit's just 1X2, then attaching a vertical panel or two will supply the support needed to keep it up.

You can see in this picturehow I used vertical panels in Gus's cage, one attached to the top on the far side, andtwo supporting underneath on the near side:

If you want to create a bigger second level (say 2X2 or 2X3) then you'll most likely need more support.Wood dowels or 1X1areinexpensive and work well.

Try Googling "rabbit NIC condo" or "rabbit NIC cage" for more pictures and ideas.

I used probably150-200 zip ties to put Gus's cage together (I used the bigger7 1/2 inch ties so I didn't need as many), but I bought300, so I've got lots left over in case I need to do repairs or renovations. ;)

I'm not familiar with the choroplast, so I can't help you there.

Hope that helps!

Rue

I didn't use cloroplast in my cage, so I don't know about that one. I feel like adding on would ruin the waterproof effect that I'd personally want.
I used dowels in my cages to support my levels. They work really well and don't harm the buns if they nibble on them a bit.

I don't remember how many zip ties I used, probably way more than you really need, but I figure better safe than sorry. Not to mention they're really cheap!

I think you can see my dowels in this picture. I have two cages side by side. Each is 2 x 3 x 2 high. I have it so the front half of the top folds back and I can open up the entire front by swinging it to the side.

CIMG1061.jpg

I agree that the waterproofing capability of the coroplast would likely be majorly diminished by adding on scraps. Sure, you could probably caulk it with bathroom caulker, but it still won't be the same.. especially in corners.

Can you take it back and tell them they cut it wrong?

Take a look up at the top of this forum for some great Lagomorph Library links to members' cages, and how to build an NIC from scratch.

Sounds to me like your dimensions are on :)
Buy a heck of a lot more zipties than you need :p. I find I'm always making mistakes, having to cut them off, put more back, redesigning the NIC, yadda yadda :D

Latest posts

Back