Building New Hutch-Progress

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

la~la~land

Reaction score
Ok wasn't sure if this went in the Housing Constructionbecause its going to house my breeding/show rabbits. Sorry if its in the wrong place :blushan:

My dad and I are building anew hutch for my mini rexes. Its got three stories, each is 2ft high x 4ft wide x 3ft deep. Theres going to be a slide-in divider in the middle ofeach level. When a doe kindles or I have a group of juniors I'll take it out so they'll have the full 4x3. Its gonna have solid floors with stick on tiles so if there are any accidents outside their litter boxes I can just wipe it up. I'll post pics as we go.

Today we framed it up. Heres a pic of the mostly finished frame. (its laying on its back)

ngrf39.jpg

n4cvc.jpg

Be ready to replace the dividers :p My 10 year old wood hutches... well lets just say one is on it's last splinter and the other is only alive because I replaced the floor last year.

bunnybunbunb wrote:
Be ready to replace the dividers :p My 10 year old wood hutches... well lets just say one is on it's last splinter and the other is only alive because I replaced the floor last year.

Lol, they're just a slide-in piece of wood so they'll be easy to replace. :pjust cut another piece to size. I was thinking of tiling them over too but not sure.

We've got the floors andall four sides up now :thumbupI'll try to post pics later. Now all we have to do is put in the dividers, doors, put wire on the front, and put the tin on the roof.

I will be finalizing drawings for the hutch design we've refined here... it's designed for Flemish Giants but would work for lots of things. Solid floors, wire sides, doors that can be configured to swing up or to the side, and no doorstep so that stuff can be raked out easily. It's a modification of the Harold May Windwood Hutch, and I'm at the point now where I can knock one out in under two hours.

It's a double hutch, two hutches 3' wide x 2' high by 3.5' deep. The dividers are tacked in, and can be removed when you want all the space for a big litter and mom. We have 7 doubles here now, and I have to build another shortly. Pictures and an accurate materials list will be included. Probably will end up posting it on our website.

Sorry I havent updated in so long! I lost mycamera cord :p

With bottoms and back

5ythdz.jpg

With the sides on

2rrpg8w.jpg

Side view

2jfj13m.jpg

Slot where the divider slides in

20gznzs.jpg

Now we just have to stain it, put the roof on, and put in the tiles :D

Let me know what you think :thumbup

Woowww! I can't wait until it is finished!!!!!

:)

Jen

I have been debating with myself as to whether I want to build all wire hanging cages in my rabbit shed or solid wooden hutches. After watching the progress of your project I am leaning heavily towards wood! I can't wait to see them finished.

Wow, long time no see lol
Welp, hutch building took priority under my lil bro's treehouse but we're back on track (just in time too, I picking up a couple new rabbits at the end of the week and they'll need a place to live) Its got a nice coat of paint now and the roof is going on this evening after it cools off. I'm also going to tile the first level today :) The color of the paint and and tin match our house :) Pics soon

:time:

It looks great! reminds me of a bookshelf at this point, but I have always dreamed of making something like that, when I was looking at my bookshelf. :biggrin2:

putting tiles in is great idea! No sore hocks and and always a cool place to lay down! I can't wait to see the finished product with bunnies in it :biggrin2:

Ok, roofs on, I didn't get to finish tiling beause it started storming really bad. I'll finish when my dad gets home so he can help me cut them to size.

Latest posts

Back