Building Cages

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcohen1982

Reaction score
I was looking around at Tractor Supply Co. and was looking at what kind of wire I need. Well, I got to thinking, why can't I use poultry wire, it is 1in and it is cheaper. I didn't know if since it is 'hexagon' and not rectangular if that made a difference. I would also like to add that I would be using it for upcoming MR litters, if that makes a difference either. Has anybody tried this? Is it a good idea? If so, why? If not, why?
Here is the link of what I am think about
http://www.tractorsupply.com/fencing/welded-wire-fencing/poultry-netting-48-in-x-50-ft--3627097

Thanks

Rachel

I would also like to add that they are all indoors so I don't have to worry about predators or anything of that sort. Don't know if that information is needed, but there you have it just in case. ;)

Rachel

Poultry wire will be fine but if you are planing on having the rabbits on wire floors use square 1cm welded wire.

I would suggest not using it. Poultry wire is very flimsy, therefore making it hard to work with. The wire can some times untwist from it's shape and stick out at odd angles, making it a danger to rabbits. And the size of the hexagons are perfect for very young rabbits to get their heads or feet caught in.

But this is just my opinion. Personally, I really think that investing in a stronger welded wire with 1cm squares is well worth your money, and you're rabbit's safety.

Not strong enough for rabbits. You get a good chewer and that will be destroyed in no time. If you have a LOWES near by, its slightly cheaper then Tractor Supply.

Just look around before getting it, and you can find cheaper stuff. I used a bigger wire around the sides of my cages the floor was smaller, and that was how I saved. You just need something thicker then what you posted.

Latest posts

Back