Building an outdoor hutch

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funnybunnymummy

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Since there's a possibility Gus might have to move outdoors, I'd like to investigate outdoor hutches.

Ideally, if I had to move him out, I'd like him to have something like this:

shed3.jpg

or this:

pic1.jpg

or this:

AM_RWF014_Shed_and_run.jpg

(Er, you probably get the idea...
icon_wink.gif
)

However, I have no idea how much money I'd be looking at to build such a thing and even what the right types of materials to use would be, etc. etc.

Because of where we live (rainy, damp and often windy weather), I'd rather not put him in a traditional hutch where the majority of the space is an exposed cage and only the bedroom area is enclosed. I'd worry he'd get damp or cold. Plus, because of our rather inclement weather, I'd like to be able to fit inside his "house" myself when I need to feed or play with him.

I know there are some outdoor bunnies on this forum. Anyone built anything like this or know where I could find some info on doing so?

Thanks!

Rue

Hey, Rue!

Just wanted to say - Love the 2nd pic, and I think that is a really nice one.

For a top, to stop rain coming in, you could get a really strong plastic bag and staple it on(with one of those strong staple guns!). If not - you could cover the top with wood, instead of putting wire for the top

You could just use a (large) shed for his bedroom, and put a cage in there and keep the door open incase he wants to jump in and out. From my experience, they prefer to stay in the cage rather than the shed itself :)

oo I think the blue on is really cute.

Modifying a pre-existing shed is a good idea. Pre-built sheds can get pretty expensive but I know that home-hardware has a "projects department" where you can buy detailed plans on how to build your own. And I'm sure they can custom cut your wood to include a bunny door.

Also try craig's list. Sometimes people just want to give these things away and you might find exactly what your looking for.

Thanks, guys! Those are some good ideas. I really appreciate them!

Fortunately, it looks like Gus won't have to move outside after all! :biggrin2:

Of course, that doesn't stop me fromdaydreaming aboutbuilding Gus an amazing outdoor playhouse in the summer! ;)

He is such a spoiled bunny! :bunnydance:

Rue

Latest posts

Back