Bugsy and Neddy - to good to be true?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nangobi

Reaction score
Yesterday I put a message on the forum about myfirst attempt to bond my two bunnies - Bugsy (a spayed do) and Neddy (aneutered buck).

It all went well enough for me to try again this morning.That was even better - no aggression - Neddy tried humping Bugsy a fewtimes but that was about it.

As things seemed to be on a good footing, I took them both out in theircarrier in the car(with an extra box on standby!). That wentwell too, they cuddled up together. When we got back I let them play inthe kitchen with me watching for a while. Then I took themoutside to the run, took away the divider and I had a clean up whilethey played. No aggression, some humping on both sides, butthey just seemed to get on.

I was prepared for a lot of work - this has been just tooeasy. I've watched them closely the whole day - both seemfine. Does it just happen like this sometimes? I'm not surewhat to do tonight - should I put the divider back? They bothmade every effort to move it last night but I'd be devastated if theyfought in the night.

Icouldn't get a reply to the above message yesterday so trying againtoday by answering it myself!:)

I separated the buns last night and this morning Neddy has chased Bugsyaround and around the run - there's no signs of aggression ...yet, but Neddy wants to hump Bugsy and she just isn'tinterested.

After a while one of them makes this low noise, bit like a grunt - Ithink it's Bugsy so last night when that got more frequent I separatedthem.

Do I just let them get on with it but keep a watchful eye on them in case of fights or give Bugsy a break?

hi hun sorry i didnt see your post yesterday, imyself cant comment on this subject as i only have caramel and im notlooking to get another one just yet but i hope someone can help you outsoon

Bore da!

Thanks for the reply - we're off to church nowand Iwon't be backon the forum til after dinner - maybe there'llbe some other replies by then.

Bugsy and Neddy seem happy for now so I'm going to leave them be. Bugsyhas found a place Neddy can't get up to anyway so if she gets fed upshe can go and sit there!

Sorry, I typed out a (very) long reply and thecomputer ate it. :grumpy (Half the Mods are offthis weekend, sorry for that, too!)

Long and short of it is that both my pairs bonded themselves withouthelp from me. I introduced Radar (the boy) and Darry (thegirl), Radar's eyes lit up, he started humping her and she let him andthat was that -- although after that she was the boss all theway. She still chases him around the room and pulls fur fromhis butt, but he still seems to love her. They groom andsleep together, although they're not inseparable, henpecked Radar needshis 'away time' fromDarry, but they're in a big enough spaceto allow that.

Dill and Sherry weren't bonded, but they both had run of the livingroom and kitchen, Sherry kept trying to bond with Dill, but he wouldn'thave any part of it. He thought she was just a pesky rabbitand he'd chase her off. (Hehasn't noticedthathe's a rabbit, too). There were one ortwofights, but Sherry could get away, and again, the spacewas plenty big enough for her to do that. But lo and behold,I came out there one day and they were necking on the couch.They're beenpretty much inseparable ever since. (Iguess Dill saw the benefits of having his ownpet bunny).

The two bonded girls who got here last weekend just had what soundedlike a huge chase fight in their cage, misplaced aggression I assumeseeing as Sherry was on the other side of the bars stirring it up, butno harm that I can see.

They should be fine. I'd just make sure you have them in asmuch space as you can, maybe with a hidey box with two exit holesand/or a platform or something to slow down the chases.

Good luck!

sas :)

Thanks for that reply Pipp. It was really useful.

Regarding a place for them to hide out - I've left Bugsy's old hutch inthe run and she sits on top ofthat a lot - she used to sit ontop of that even when Neddy wasn't here- Neddy doesn't seemas agile or adventurous as Bugsy so he can't get up there!Neddy just goes up onto the 1st floor of the other hutch.

I do feel a bit sorry for Bugs though, Neddy just follows her arounduntil she's just about had enough! I read some of the 101 bondingarticles - one in particular suggested encouraging grooming so mightgive that a try sometime.

For now I'll just leave them to their own devices and keep a watchful eye on them.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back