Bugsy and Bryn getting neutered soon!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnykinz

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get my 2 buns neutered within 2 weeks. They've been together since they were 6 weeks old and now they're a year old. Do you think it would be best if I got them neutered one right after the other so they can stay together? Also, any advice on preparing them??

Is it possible to get them both neutered at the same time? That way they would only need to be apart while they are recovering form the aesthetic and to make sure they are eating and pooping. Once that is covered and they are doing ok, they should be able to go back together.
If you get them done even a couple days apart, then it would be better to keep them apart until both are ready to go back together.
You can keep them so that they can smell each other and still be close without being in the same cage. This can help getting them bonded again once they are healed.

I think there is only 1 doctor that does it. I meant that they would go to the clinic together and get it done one after the other or something like that. ;)

Bunnykinz wrote:
I think there is only 1 doctor that does it. I meant that they would go to the clinic together and get it done one after the other or something like that. ;)
That would be good. Getting them done at the same time isn't literally them both getting done by different vets at exactly the same time, rather getting them done the same day. :) The issue would be more if they were done a couple days or even a week or 2 apart. Getting them done the same day should not cause too many issues.

You would need to watch them closely if they are in the same cage so you can know if both are eating and pooping. I am not sure how your vet does bonded pairs, but they might want to separate them just while they recover so they can be monitored more easily.

There shouldn't be any pre-op care for bunnys, and if they start telling you not to feed your bunny after ____ o'clock id be questioning how much they actually know about bunnys.
The no food rule is for one of the drugs, as it makes them vomit, but since bunnys dont vomit.... You can get away with giving them a lighter meal as it may not be the nicest feeling being nauseous with a full tummy and not being able to puke.

The date is set for May 17th! The secretary was very nice and knowledgeable about rabbits when we made the appointment. We told her they're a bonded pair so they will be able to recover together! They also get to go in for a free exam sometime. :biggrin2:

Bryn (my ND) still has a patch on his shoulder rubbed raw from Bugsy grabbing him and mounting him. Should I separate them at all or just let it go until they get neutered?

Our vet doesn't believe in taking food away from rabbits before surgery as they cannot vomit. The food percausion is to prevent vomiting. Check with your vet, if he is rabbit savy he may not want you to eliminate the food. Also check and see if the rabbits are related by blood if there is a discount for using the same surgical kit. I know when you have litters of kittens neutered they use the same kit. Don't let them jump around for the first 12 hours but after that they really bounce back fast. Have some hay to put in their cage at the vet if possible, they always come around quickly and are looking for something to settle their stomachs. My vet lets me stay with our rabbits before surgery right up to the time they put them under. I just hold them, they give them a little shot and when they are drowsy the tech takes them. This really helps to prevent stress. All depends on the clinic, but you can certainly ask. We have a great vet clinic, if you are nuerotic enough they will even let you stay in the staff room over night with your animal in a portable cage, and just lock off the rest of the clinic. Good luck

Thanks! no they aren't related at all. They are completely different breeds. I'll make sure I bring them some hay and maybe a few greens.

Thanks!! Right now I'm just a little concerned with the fact that Bugsy keeps grabbing Bryn and now Bryn has a bit of a scab/ raw spot on his shoulder. :(

They just got back from the vets and are doing great!!!:inlove: I sort of feel like this right now bringing them all sorts of stuff to eat: :sickbunny:

I'm so glad to hear that yourbabies are home and doing well.

Is Bugsy still bugging Bryn? Did your Vet give you anything for the scsb/raw area? Can you get Bag Balm? I've used it on my bunnies sores in the past.

BagBalm.jpg

Susan:)

No they are sleeping right now. I'll have to see whether I'll have to separate them once they fully recover though. Yes, they shaved the area and cleaned it out. He's on Baytril right now to prevent any infection. Poor Bryn! He looks rather pitiful! :bunnynurse: Also, the sore is a about quarter size and has been cleaned. I don't have any of that balm stuff, but I do have plain Neosporin. Should I put that on it eventually?

Latest posts

Back